So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am a 48 year old guy who is battling the bulge, I would love to have a flat abdomen, so that I can flaunt it. I am willing to work really hard to get it. I would love it if you could give me some tips to move in that direction...
    @sandhu_3007‌ exercise more than your calorie intake. Cardio workouts are best for this. Drink lots of water. You can't spot lose so it's going to require an all over body work out. Weights help tone and begin to use your core muscle the heavier the weight. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Sandhu, go back and read my post. It's on page one at the very top. Follow those directions.

@athenamarybrown You don't need to exercise more than you eat. You need to figure out the amount of calories your body needs during a 24 hour period (because you burn calories just staying alive) and eat below that. Cardio isn't even necessary for weight loss. Weights help, but it's not necessarily for tone it's for lean mass retention (because your body uses lean mass when you diet and do cardio).
  • slcker89
    slcker89 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am 25(recently ;) ), weighing 240lbs, and have joined gym a month back n I have lost 19lbs so far..it feels good..I can already feel the change :D..just need help to know how can I manage to keep the same momentum going up :|
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am a 48 year old guy who is battling the bulge, I would love to have a flat abdomen, so that I can flaunt it. I am willing to work really hard to get it. I would love it if you could give me some tips to move in that direction...

Hiya read through the whole 37 pages, there are plenty of tips! ;)
  • kayleydd85
    Options
    Hi really need to lose weight on my belly?? Need some advice how to get it flat x
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kayleydd85 wrote: »
    Hi really need to lose weight on my belly?? Need some advice how to get it flat x

@Kayleydd85 Go back and read the first post on the first page of this thread. Then if you really want you can read all the comments on the other 36 pages. There's some good advice in there. If I was to just give you advice I would copy and paste the first post.
  • murphy107
    Options
    I really need someone to go through alternatives with me!!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    murphy107 wrote: »
    I really need someone to go through alternatives with me!!

@murphy107 What alternatives? You have to eat below your TDEE and do what you can to preserve your lean mass. Having a lean stomach comes down to low body fat and adequate lean mass. How you do that is up to you, but what I outlined is highly effective.
  • ilirlena40
    ilirlena40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ilirlena40 wrote: »
    I have 2 questions so read carefully OK

1. Will I build muscle if I workout but NOT get enough protein?
    2. Will I lose muscle if stop working out but GET enough protein?

Thanks

@ilirlena40 I always read carefully.

Are you trying to get by with absolute minimums? Why do your questions seem like you are trying to pick the lesser of two evils (either eat enough protein or do strength training).

I've read your other posts in my threads and a few others. You aren't interested in resistance training and you don't really care about your macros. That's fine for weight loss. You need both adequate protein and resistance training for optimal muscle retention to make sure you are losing mostly fat. If you skip one or the other it will have an impact. If you want to build lean mass you need adequate protein. If you want to keep your muscle you need resistance training. It's not a matter of choosing which one is more important because they both are.

• tellyportation
    tellyportation Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What exercises benefit tummy, gluts and thighs? I do walking but I'm not sure it concentrates on those 3 problem areas. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!
  • AwsBrah
    AwsBrah Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Squats? Otherwise just use jefit app (or site jefit.com) to get ideas for specific muscle groups.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Do people honestly post to this thread without even reading the first post? I'm baffled sometimes....and pretty humbled by how usmcmp keeps her cool.

Also, can someone tell me how to spot reduce my tummy and thighs and tone all over. I don't want to get huge like a gross she-hulk. Also, I'm on the bacon-and-cauliflower diet because everyone knows that's the only thing that works. Will taking a double dose of raspberry ketones give me abs? :D
  • usmcmp
    Options
    What exercises benefit tummy, gluts and thighs? I do walking but I'm not sure it concentrates on those 3 problem areas. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

@tellyportation Instead of trying to find a couple of moves that might help your trouble zones it's a good idea to find a strength training program that has a variety of exercises for the entire body. Bodybuilding.com has some good ones.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I have 2 questions so read carefully OK

1. Will I build muscle if I workout but NOT get enough protein?
    2. Will I lose muscle if stop working out but GET enough protein?

Thanks

@ilirlena40 I always read carefully.

Are you trying to get by with absolute minimums? Why do your questions seem like you are trying to pick the lesser of two evils (either eat enough protein or do strength training).

I've read your other posts in my threads and a few others. You aren't interested in resistance training and you don't really care about your macros. That's fine for weight loss. You need both adequate protein and resistance training for optimal muscle retention to make sure you are losing mostly fat. If you skip one or the other it will have an impact. If you want to build lean mass you need adequate protein. If you want to keep your muscle you need resistance training. It's not a matter of choosing which one is more important because they both are.

@usmcmp‌ All I see here is just that you are showing me your attitude. I ask questions to get success, not to show me that you are crying. You can't tell me what I'm interested in because you're head is empty and it always will be. If you don't want to answer don't alright cause I see you don't know how.

I understand why you might feel like I'm giving you attitude, but what I am really trying to do is to get you to analyze why you have those questions. I will give you exact answers to them, but I don't think it will answer your real question.

1. In order to answer this I would need to determine what "enough" protein is for you. Enough protein to build lean mass depends on your training as well as your stats. If your training is adequate you could potentially do well on .6g/lb lbm. If your training isn't adequate then 1g/lb lbm won't be enough.
    2. If you stop progressively overloading your muscles in one form or another you will lose lean mass. It does not matter how much protein you eat (as seen by many who are on ketogenic diets).

So, as I stated in my original reply to you: If you skip protein intake or resistance training it will have a negative impact on your lean mass. Feel free to not believe me and go read up on a variety of studies on lean mass, protein intake and resistance training. You can draw your own conclusions from the studies.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Do people honestly post to this thread without even reading the first post? I'm baffled sometimes....and pretty humbled by how usmcmp keeps her cool.

:so:):'(
  • cpdemos
    cpdemos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good thing to keep in mind!
  • usmcmp
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Edited since the original post I replied to was removed. Thank you to the moderators for keeping spam at bay!
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    So much good stuff! Thanks! I might be inspired to get back to the weights.
  • LadyClaypole
    Options
    You've given me some clear things to focus on which is exactly what I needed, thank you @usmcmp‌
  • anitagates86
    Options
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You want to lose belly fat and have a nice flat toned mid section? We see that a lot on this site. Hell, that was my goal for my birthday last year. We all want to be able to take our shirt off at the pool or beach and look great, but how do we do it?

1. Slight calorie deficit. Eating 800 calories and killing yourself in the gym is not going to get you there any faster. You need to fuel your body appropriately. I suggest the TDEE-20% method. www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc (If you have questions please feel free to ask them here). Make sure to weigh everything you eat! Guessing could put you well over your calories.

2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.

3. Muscle insurance. There are a variety of studies done on the amount of protein the body needs. I like to think of higher protein as muscle insurance. My suggestion is about 1gram of protein per pound of lean mass. Make sure to get fat in your diet to help joints and metabolic processes. Make sure to get carbs in your diet to fuel workouts.

4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

FINALLY: Losing fat is like trying to dry out a sponge. You can't dry a corner while the rest of it is still wet. You won't magically lose belly fat or thigh fat or any other fat. It will come off where it wants to. Keep working at it! It is possible!

Do you need to involve weights in your exercises or can you just do basic home workouts involving plank,crunches etc?