In 2014, let's resolve not to kill anyone. Okie doke?

Options
It takes very little effort to share the road with cyclists. Believe it or not, we are not there to fck with drivers. We are commuters, athletes, adventure seekers, moms, dads, sons, and daughters. Please take a moment to read this short, perfectly reasonable article on how to safely share the road with your fellow human beings. After all, no one really wants to hurt another person, right? RIGHT?

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/everyday-rider/2013/12/30/how-to-drive-around-cyclists/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Blog-_-drive-cyclists

Replies

• kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    But in exchange, could you not ride directly in front of my car, blocking the entire lane? Okie doke?
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If it isn't safe to ride on the shoulder, I will ride in your lane. I am traffic and I have every right to be there. I always do my best not to impede traffic but my safety comes first.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I think this is great to post! I also think that drivers can try to be more cautious of runners as well. There have been several times stepping off a curb where I have a walk signal and a car doesn't see me - if I wasn't paying attention I'd be toast.

Bike safety is something I wish was bigger in my city and think it *may* encourage more bike commuting in the warmer months!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If it isn't safe to ride on the shoulder, I will ride in your lane. I am traffic and I have every right to be there. I always do my best not to impede traffic but my safety comes first.

Very much this ^
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I really liked this from Bike Jeffco today: Excellent suggestions from Bike Jeffco ... as you set your resolutions for 2014 consider:

"We cyclists continue to be viewed by many as an anti-social, badly behaving, sometimes arrogant, part of the community. Somewhat akin to bad driver behavior, bad cycling behavior would not be exhibited if we were on foot.

While this is often blamed on a minority of our community, we must all accept some blame, myself included.

My personal gripe is about those amongst us who ride as though they are part of a Tour de France chase group, completely oblivious to other road and trail users and to the area through which they are passing.

Thus, in an effort to improve our image, I propose we all adopt the following New Year’s resolutions (no picking and choosing)

1) For the safety of my fellow travelers and myself, I will wear at least one item of bright clothing while riding. From dusk to dawn and always in the winter months, I will carry lights to announce my presence.

2) I will never ride more than two abreast and only then when it is safe to do so.

3) I will obey all traffic signs and signals.

4) On the bikeway or road shoulder, I will acknowledge those I am passing either verbally or with a bell.

5) I will respect the area through which I am riding by not discarding litter such as used gel packets or energy bar wrappers.

6) I will respect the area through which I am riding by waiting for the next toilet facility.

7) I will respect quiet areas through which I am riding b y not conversing loudly.

8) I will not threaten other road users by tailgating motorized vehicles or drafting behind riders I do not know.

9) When stopped, I will pull off the road or bikeway so as not to be a hindrance to those who do not choose to join me.

10) If involved in an altercation, I will act in a civil manner and report any incident to the police as soon as possible.

11) I will get involved in at least one bicycle advocacy project in the year.

12) I will actively encourage other cyclists to adopt these resolutions.

-Dave, Bike Jeffco
    Happy, safe and courteous riding in 2014."
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Well, shucks. I already do this list. <need angel smiley> I need some additional resolutions! I admit I have rolled a few neighborhood stop signs... working on that already. Any suggestions???