I'm a pear, what workouts would best benefit me?

Options
I'm a pear and I'm wanting to know what workouts would help me with my bigger areas such as my belly, butt and thighs. I DO NOT want to do the "thigh gap" workouts.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound strength training.

Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Etc.

Rigger
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't target fat loss from particular areas of your body with particular exercises. You just have to reduce fat overall and be patient, and hope that it eventually comes off from where you want it to come off from. That can be done with or without exercise, and your diet is the main/easiest way to create a calorie deficit.

So, don't exercise with reducing certain body parts in mind, but exercise for health, fitness, to retain lean mass as you lose weight and all the other lovely benefits that come from it. The good news is, even if you do a "thigh gap workout" you won't necessarily end up with a thigh gap, unless your genetics dictate it, and you get your body fat low enough.
  • JesterMFP
    Options

Rigger
    Good for targeting those muscles, but I'm getting from the OP that she's trying to specifically reduce those areas, in which case any exercise is as effective as another.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options

Rigger

This, if you're looking to build muscle.

If you're looking to lose fat from a particular area you'll have to make peace with the fact that there is no way to target *where* you lose fat, just how much.
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll just keep doing cardio and walking! :)
  • JesterMFP
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'll just keep doing cardio and walking! :)
    Cardio is great. Don't be afraid to incorporate some kind of resistance training at some point to help you retain muscle mass and bone density.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Im pear shaped too---my workouts included turbofire (which I love), les mills combat and workouts from fitness blender. Usually I did some sort of cardio everyday and weights three times a week. Usually my workouts last anywhere from 1hr - 1 1/2 hrs, I work my upperbody more than lower when it comes to weights (and it helps create a balance and draws more attention to my upper body). Squats, dead lifts, lunges are all good and yes I use weights with those too.

If you are unsure about workouts---check out fitness blender---its free and they guides available (I did there beginners version as a place to start and when from there). The husband and wife team provide very good descriptions for their workouts and they have over two hundred available. If I would have known about their website sooner---I would have never purchased any workout dvds---
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Im pear shaped too---my workouts included turbofire (which I love), les mills combat and workouts from fitness blender. Usually I did some sort of cardio everyday and weights three times a week. Usually my workouts last anywhere from 1hr - 1 1/2 hrs, I work my upperbody more than lower when it comes to weights (and it helps create a balance and draws more attention to my upper body). Squats, dead lifts, lunges are all good and yes I use weights with those too.

If you are unsure about workouts---check out fitness blender---its free and they guides available (I did there beginners version as a place to start and when from there). The husband and wife team provide very good descriptions for their workouts and they have over two hundred available. If I would have known about their website sooner---I would have never purchased any workout dvds---

Awesome! Thanks! I usually do body weight workouts with me as large as I am. I will definitely check out fitness blender!
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Pears are often good with melted cheese or whip cream. I like pears sliced with whip cream with a little green jello powder mixed in.
  • ushie2611
    Options
    hi im also a pear and only 5.3 and along with a clean protein/paleo based diet i can honestly say my hips and thighs and bum have completely slimmed down since doing les mills combat 6 days a week and les mills pump 3 times a week...the combination of the combat & HIIT with lifting is working miracles and squatting and lungeing with weights (10k barbell) has slimmed my thighs and given them a gorgeous shape....thats me for life now...sticking with it
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Rigger

I agree. Coming from a fellow pear I found that lifting heavy has reduced my overall body fat which has in return helped with my trouble areas (thighs and booty). A former cardio bunny I'm certain that 8 months of heavy lifting has done more wonders for my body than the 2 years I spent doing 10 hours of cardio a week.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear.
    I honestly didn't take my body shape into consideration at all when I started eating less and moving more. I did lots of circuit training and body weight training, and now I mostly run and lift heavy.

As others have mentioned, you can't spot reduce fat. All you can do is continue to lose weight, and the fat will come off where it wants to. However, resistance training will help you retain your lean body mass, which will definitely affect your overall body composition and give you a leaner look. My hips, butt, and thighs are still somewhat large in comparison to the rest of my body, but they have slimmed down considerably over time. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pear as well. Heavy weights and cardio mixed n hoping for the best!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Rigger

This, if you're looking to build muscle.

If you're looking to lose fat from a particular area you'll have to make peace with the fact that there is no way to target *where* you lose fat, just how much.

She's not going to build muscle eating at a deficit.

What you will do OP, if retain the muscle you already have if you lift. Why does this matter? Lots of people get to their goal weight and don't like how they look and are confused about why - it's because they have a higher body fat percent. Lifting will help you retain muscle, so you're losing less of it and more fat. Meaning less giggle and a firmer appearance.

Cardio and walking are great, but as time passes, if you aren't seeing the results you want, pick up the bar.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You just need to lose weight. That will help enormously. Weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Exercise targeting particular areas will develop the muscles in that area. that's all there is to it. Its better to exercise your whole body for overall health and strength.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and any exercise that you can commit to doing consistently and enjoy will be what works best for you. :flowerforyou:

I've gotta say, though, that a progressive lifting program can do wonders for a body. Try to incorporate some strength training (and lift heavy, no pink weights) and you'll notice a difference.
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right you need a good mix of cardio, weight training and good eating. It might take a little longer for the hips and thighs but eventually they will slim down. I also do Les Mills Body Pump & Body Combat at the gym.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm a female pear as well. In college I wore size 10 bottoms, size 4/6 tops, ugh. I build muscle very easily, and unfortunately that has its own problems for women, depending on the body shape you want.

The most important thing for my overall body shape has been upper body strength training. It makes me look more balanced and draws attention away from my "problem" areas. I love having big biceps and shoulder muscles, which makes my hips look more proportional.

Strength training won't help much with fat loss, though. For cardio, I like rowing, because it targets my weaker muscles (upper body) as well as increasing heart rate for fat loss. I used to do a ton of biking/hiking/skiing/running, which helps with weight maintenance BUT my thighs/calves are bulkier as a result which overall doesn't contribute to the body shape I want. I still do that stuff, but am more likely to keep the incline/speed low and go for longer periods to try to reduce the creation of excess muscle in those areas.

When you get advice from men on this topic, they tend to not understand that most women don't want bulky thighs, regardless of whether that bulk is from muscle or from fat. I'd stay away from squats and other targeted legwork, which will INCREASE the size of your legs. But again - it depends on your goals.

Hope that helps.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    pears are hot