insanity v P90X

Options
Hi
Have been looking at some of the results and reviews about P90X and it seems really good. However I dont like the idea of putting up a pull up bar in my house, its bit old and Im worried Ill either pull the door frame down or the plaster down :smooched:
Husband will not be very impressed.

So I saw the insanity workout which doesnt appear to need anything.

How does it compare? Anyone used it? Is it as tough/easier
any comments?

Thanks

Replies

• Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have Insanity and it's tough. I heard that Insanity was harder but I've never done P90X. If you want to do the program you can just skip the pull ups or do some other exercise that works the chest and arms during that part.
  • sjd200
    sjd200 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sorry for being stupid but what is P90x? Cheers x
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Hello!

I just finished p90x and I didn't do the pull ups with the bar, I used weights. You can modify the moves to your fitness level. A friend of mine is doing insanity and it is exactly what is called insanely cardio and one uses ones body as weight. Some people like me and my friend didn't lose pounds but I lost 7 inches! Had I followed the "eat your exercised calories" recommendation...I would've done a lot better!!

I started Turbo Fire 2 days ago and that too, the cardio sessions are amazingly cardio....again I modify to suit my level of fitness.

P90X is very little cardio and mostly weight training. Insanity is the opposite.

Good luck to you!
  • itsbella
    Options
    Sorry for being stupid but what is P90x? Cheers x

P90X is a weight training program that lasts 13 weeks, 12 DVDs and is put out by Tony Horton, gorgeous man! from beachbody.com
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Go For Insanity!! It's Amazing!

From what I heard it's tougher than P90X. My husband tried to get me to get P90X but due to the all the stuff you needed, I went for Insanity. Although here in about a month or two we will be P90X owners cause my husband still wants it LOL

Both programs are amazing though! Some people even combine both at the same time!!

But for me, I'm glad I got Insanity. Even though it's INSANE, this is the FIRST workout that I pop in my PS3 daily!! I usually quit or make excuses after a week.

Based on my results, I have 5 friends who are getting Insanity. They wanted to see if it actually works & it really does! I was skeptical and waited 3 weeks until I dished out the money but it was worth it. Cheaper than a gym membership. I'm a SAHM and no time for the gym. And these workouts are just great!

I was so out of shape when I started the program but still kept with it! When I can't do a certain move or I can't push it no more I just jog in place until the next exercise.
  • Cina04
    Options
    So far I lost 12lbs and 22.25 inches off of my body and I'm not following the food plan (picky eater when it comes to healthy stuff)

frontchange.jpg
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    wow - you look great - it certainly seems to have worked :smile:

there's just so many packages out there its hard to know whether to go for them or just stick with gym. Im in UK so the likes of Turbo Fire - doesnt seem to be available over here.

The insanity - is it just hardcore cardio all the way through?
  • sjd200
    sjd200 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks x
  • Cina04
    Options
    It's cardio and strength training. It's using your body weight as weight. It's common for women to not lose alot of weight especially in the first month but man, those inches are melting off!! lol

People that have been using beachbody products get great results as long as the have the motivation to press play!

Shaun T claims that you'll get results faster than spending time at the gym.

Just do what you think is best for you =)

I don't have any regrets about Insanity and plan to do more rounds =)
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say one is harder than the other!!! It depends on what you are wanting to accomplish!!! For me im not just looking to lose weight i also want to be toned and build muscle!!! And the more muscle you have the more fat you burn!!! So for me p90x is a better fit; but in no way is it easier than insanity!!! They are 2 totally different beast and they will both give you a workout like never before!!!

Check out these reviews:

http://workoutjourney.com/p90x-vs-insanity

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/p90x-vs-insanity-which-really-works-1723546.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?Insanity-Vs-P90X---Which-One-is-Tougher?&id=3538794

This reviews should help!!!
  • mable10
    mable10 Posts: 39
    Options
    from what i've heard...you have to be in somewhat good shape to start insanity. so your current fitness level is important. i am doing p90x and chose not to use the pull up bar for very similar reasons. i bought the resistance bands and use them instead. p90x dvd's show you how to use the bands too during each exercise. hope this helps.
  • racmac
    Options
    from what i've heard...you have to be in somewhat good shape to start insanity. so your current fitness level is important. i am doing p90x and chose not to use the pull up bar for very similar reasons. i bought the resistance bands and use them instead. p90x dvd's show you how to use the bands too during each exercise. hope this helps.

so i dont have to have the pull up thingy - do i still need to attach the resistance bands to anything or do they show you the alternative exercise just using them.

What bands do you have?
  • itsbella
    Options
    racmac...They do show you how to do the exercises with the bands. The bands when you buy them, I bought mine at Dic(k)s comes with a strap that you can use with a door. Then they're exercises when you hold the bands with your feet. I paid less than $20. They are exercises with bands and weights and a bar.

Tony is with muscle confusion so he changes it up with bands/weights. They train your muscles differently. I'm no coach or a trainer with tons of experience this is from what I've read.

If I knew better prior to this....my goal is to lose weight....I wouldve done Turbo, slim in 6 or Insanity...and lost the weight and then do p90x for toning and muscle building. Now, I'm doing Turbo Fire, getting rid of the weight and then later I'll incorporate p90x with it. It all depends on your goals. You're gonna get results no matter what as long as you are consistent!!
  • itsbella
    Options
    So far I lost 12lbs and 22.25 inches off of my body and I'm not following the food plan (picky eater when it comes to healthy stuff)

frontchange.jpg

Cina...You have done insanely awesome!! Congratulations! How do you feel!
  • Superman79
    Options
    Hi
    Have been looking at some of the results and reviews about P90X and it seems really good. However I dont like the idea of putting up a pull up bar in my house, its bit old and Im worried Ill either pull the door frame down or the plaster down :smooched:
    Husband will not be very impressed.

So I saw the insanity workout which doesnt appear to need anything.

How does it compare? Anyone used it? Is it as tough/easier
    any comments?

Thanks

If you are really out of shape, I suggest starting with Power 90. It comes with the band needed. Then once that plan is completed you can choose which is best. P90x is not designed to be a weight loss program, nor is Insanity. Those programs are for people who have some kind of above average fitness level to begin with. My next suggestion would be to complete p90x after p90 then move on to Insanity.

Turbo Fire, is a walk in the park compared to Insanity.
    But make sure you eat clean and get rid of the junk, or all the weight will come right back as soon as you decrease your exercise. Besides, what good are six pack abs if you have cancer?

The key is to build up your lungs and muscles so you can keep up without as high a risk of injury. Building muscles is the absolute best way to slim up and tone up.

Just so you know, Insanity's warm up is 11 minutes straight with no break....and thats the warm up.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both right now. Have completed P90X 3x's and just started my 4th week of a P90X/Insanity hybrid. Love the high intensity cardio of Insanity (damn you, Shaun T...LOL) but I'm a meathead gym rat and I HAVE to lift HEAVY. So I do 3 P90X workouts and 3 Insanity workouts per week.
  • racmac
    Options
    Im in quite good shape - I until recently ran 20 odd miles a week - I now have a knee injury after doing a half marathon. I also have nearly completed 30 day Shred. I dont need to lose a great deal of weight - about 14lbs (1 stone)

But i think my problem might be getting hold of the DVD's in UK!

I liked the look of the ChaLEAN workout - but they dont sell it here so i have to rely on ebay
  • Superman79
    Options
    Legitimately, you can only purchase the program through Beachbody or a licensed Beachbody coach. Just had to say that.

Sounds like you are in good enough shape to do either program. P90x will help build more muscle and strength, and Insanity is more for shedding any excess body fat and being super super lean.

Good luck in your endeavors, I think you'll be fine with either program.
  • racmac
    Options
    But do any of them trade in UK?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Take the time to go to the beachbody web-site to see if they ship to the UK. www.beachbody.com