Staying under cals but going over protein?

Options
So, yesterday I was pleased to see that my calories were around the 1200 mark that I am meant to keep to - TOM hasn't been great lately but I found it almost easy to keep under yesterday.

However, although I stuck under my calories, I went over on protein by aloooooooot. I was wondering - should I still take yesterday as a victory, or is it negative towards weight loss? This has happened before, but where I have stayed under calories but gone over on fat or carbs.

Thanks.

Replies

• bowofcupid
    Options
    You can change the ratio of fat:carbs:protein if you want, I think somewhere under the food tab. It depends on the kinds of things you prefer to eat or the balanced diet you prefer.

Many people feel a protein rich diet is good for weight loss and building and repairing muscle. Then others think that a high carb, low fat diet is best.

I think that as long as your calories and fat are fine, then you need not worry. But, let's see what the others say as I'm no expert and I am wondering what the consensus is on this.

Hope this helps even a little :)
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear responses too as I often go over the protein. I love chicken and that often takes me over.

I try and keep my calories and fat about right as they seem the most important to weight loss.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    MFP sets the ratio as 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. UK guide lines suggest ratios of 50%carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat(40%,30%, 30% for diabetics). To alter your settings click home tab then goals, scroll down page click change goals, then select customise, on the next page make your changes then press save changes. Hope this helps :happy:
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I need a lot of carbs for my workouts so I do 50%, 25%, 25%.
    I just wrote about this elsewhere so I'll paste that here too!
    The default that MFP sets is ridiculously low if you do any weight training, especially if you are on a 500-1000 Cal deficit. A general rule, I heard somewhere, says that a good amount is about 0.8-1.5 grams per one kilo of your weight. Closer to 0.8 if you don't exercise and closer to 1.5 if you do.

According to the Finnish Olympic Committee, 1.4 g per kilo of bodyweight is enough for an athlete and going over 2g/kg doesn't add to the results (many bodybuilders aim at 2.5 and more though..). The body gets rid of what it doesn't need in urine and too much can give excess load to the kidneys and liver.

I weight about 194 lbs and eat about 1.2 g of protein per kilo a day so:
    194 lbs * 2.2 = 88 kg
    88 kg * 1.2 g/kg = 106 g
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    going over protien is the last thing you should worry about. Since your body needs it. I never worry about going over Protien or Fiber. I would worry about going over sugar, sodium, calories