Anyone training for a Spartan (Or similar) Competition

Options
I just signed up for my 1st Spartan challenge and was wondering if anyone else trains for these types of events.
If so what would you consider to be your main 5 must do workouts for course specifics.

Feel free to add me (M/F) as well. I could use some advice from people who have attempted and completed these types of events.

Thanks MFP

Replies

• Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am so screwed but yes already signed up and paid for in Jun of this year. I am adding weights to the running I do. So went to bodybuilding.com and got a workout from there. Problem is the course is not revealed so I need workouts for carry a load and another for hanging or climbing. That much I was able to suss out of the site and people running our course.
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for Spartan Workouts of the Day on their website. They'll email them to you or they're on their facebook page too. Those are definitely helpful because they are so versatile. I would suggest working on your weakness (mine is running) and especially running hills. I've done the Spartan Race, Warrior Dash and Rugged Maniac. Spartan Race was by far the most difficult of the three, mainly because their were 3 wicked steep hills to run up. Sorry I can't recommend any specific exercises though...
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can sign up for Spartan Workouts of the Day on their website. They'll email them to you or they're on their facebook page too. Those are definitely helpful because they are so versatile. I would suggest working on your weakness (mine is running) and especially running hills. I've done the Spartan Race, Warrior Dash and Rugged Maniac. Spartan Race was by far the most difficult of the three, mainly because their were 3 wicked steep hills to run up. Sorry I can't recommend any specific exercises though...

*there were. Sorry, that was really annoying me.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am so screwed but yes already signed up and paid for in Jun of this year. I am adding weights to the running I do. So went to bodybuilding.com and got a workout from there. Problem is the course is not revealed so I need workouts for carry a load and another for hanging or climbing. That much I was able to suss out of the site and people running our course.

I figured i'd be screwed too but the main thing in my mind is to finish, not looking for an impressive time etc. I just want to push my self and hope to complete the event. I think taking the 1st step like you did is the hardest part. Some people don't make it past the excuses not to even try. Good luck!!
  • JayDavila
    Options

Awesome thank you, I'll look for that on the website
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Out of the people who have done these events, is it true they become a bit addictive? I've heard the challenges are something people look forward to the following year
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I WANT to, but I haven't yet. I want to focus on getting into some semblance of shape before I do any races.
  • AngieOrangy
    AngieOrangy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have not done the Spartan Race; however, I have done the Mud Challenger. They look a tad similar from the website (I could be wrong.) They are fun. The obstacles are usually based more on strength. There were not too many parts at Mud Challenger of straight running, maybe a mile max. Most of the obstacles are close together. I have seen mud-run/challenge training guides online. I would just say to focus on upper body, and endurance.
    I am not very fit at all. I mostly prepared with running (bad idea) for Mud Challenger. The estimated time of completion was 2 hours, I finished a little over an hour and attempted every obstacle.
    Good luck!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I have not done the Spartan Race; however, I have done the Mud Challenger. They look a tad similar from the website (I could be wrong.) They are fun. The obstacles are usually based more on strength. There were not too many parts at Mud Challenger of straight running, maybe a mile max. Most of the obstacles are close together. I have seen mud-run/challenge training guides online. I would just say to focus on upper body, and endurance.
    I am not very fit at all. I mostly prepared with running (bad idea) for Mud Challenger. The estimated time of completion was 2 hours, I finished a little over an hour and attempted every obstacle.
    Good luck!

Yea I was looking at one called Tough Mudder, looked a bit out of my league (Not sure if i'm fit enough) but definitely looked challenging. I was also thinking the same about working on my endurance for running etc. But I keep hearing a lot has to do with strength.
    Thank you
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I WANT to, but I haven't yet. I want to focus on getting into some semblance of shape before I do any races.

The member above listed different levels of the events, maybe that would help get your feet wet. Give it a shot!! :) I know Im out of shape to do any of these but I figured just give it a shot and see what my limits are. Then I can focus on certain weaknesses.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first Tough Mudder in October.

At the moment I am training by running 2 -3 times a week, plus two sessions in the gym with a trainer working on strength and am going to do the tough mudder workouts as well.
  • JayDavila
    Options

At the moment I am training by running 2 -3 times a week, plus two sessions in the gym with a trainer working on strength and am going to do the tough mudder workouts as well.

Good luck!! That tough mudder looks awesome
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I am planning on doing a warrior dash in May but if it is 2 weeks after my next scheduled Half Marthon ( I want to PR this one) so I wont do specific training for it..

I am just going to go out and have fun with it...whatever time I get I get
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Good luck!! That tough mudder looks awesome

Thank you very much :)
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I am planning on doing a warrior dash in May but if it is 2 weeks after my next scheduled Half Marthon ( I want to PR this one) so I wont do specific training for it..

I am just going to go out and have fun with it...whatever time I get I get

Basically what I will be doing, just going out and having fun,. seeing how I do. If I like it maybe I will set a goal for myself on the next one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

Yea I was looking at one called Tough Mudder, looked a bit out of my league (Not sure if i'm fit enough) but definitely looked challenging. I was also thinking the same about working on my endurance for running etc. But I keep hearing a lot has to do with strength.
    Thank you

By all means push yourself with these types of events as hard as you want and use them to challenge yourself...but also realize, there are going to be a LOT of people just walking, skipping obstacles, etc. Literally anyone can do any of these, including Tough Mudder...I've never been in one that was timed and you received any kind of award or anything. A lot of people just party their *kitten* off.

I usually do Warrior Dash when it comes to town and a couple other obstacle course/mud runs throughout the year. They are a blast. I did one at the end of August with my wife and it was really cool because she had started lifting with me and when we were on the course we got to the monkey bar cross (and it was a long monkey bar bridge) and she was just going to go around and told me she'd never been able to do them even when she was a kid...I told her just to do as many as she could and fall into the mud when she couldn't carry on...part of the fun and all...well, to her surprise and mine, she did the whole monkey bar bridge and she had her first glimpse of true functional strength gains from lifting. It was really cool...
  • JayDavila
    Options
    By all means push yourself with these types of events as hard as you want and use them to challenge yourself...but also realize, there are going to be a LOT of people just walking, skipping obstacles, etc. Literally anyone can do any of these, including Tough Mudder...I've never been in one that was timed and you received any kind of award or anything. A lot of people just party their *kitten* off.

I usually do Warrior Dash when it comes to town and a couple other obstacle course/mud runs throughout the year. They are a blast. I did one at the end of August with my wife and it was really cool because she had started lifting with me and when we were on the course we got to the monkey bar cross (and it was a long monkey bar bridge) and she was just going to go around and told me she'd never been able to do them even when she was a kid...I told her just to do as many as she could and fall into the mud when she couldn't carry on...part of the fun and all...well, to her surprise and mine, she did the whole monkey bar bridge and she had her first glimpse of true functional strength gains from lifting. It was really cool...

Awesome thank you
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Spartan Super in May and would love to have some additional support! Their emails, workouts are intense!

I am currently doing the 30 day challenges they send - 30 days of 30 burpees, 1 mile a day.. and I do a lot of Krav Maga workouts.. need more arm strength so I can do some pull ups so could use some help there! I did the Warrior Dash a while back but the Spartan I hear is way tougher!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did the spartan race in Massachusetts last August, it was AWESOME, and hard! I trained more for the running part of it, so could have been more prepared for the upper body strength challenges. I climbed a rock wall, a rope, and had to drag tractor tires through the mud. I crawled 100 yards (felt like further) in themed under barbed wire, andattem
    Ted to get over an 8 foot wall (failed, I'm only 5'2" and I don't jump well.

It was a blast, and I was ready to sign up for 2014 but my nephew is getting married that weekend. So I've signed upto be notified for the Fenway Park Spartan, but no idea on the date for it yet.

Next race I'd do way more upper body strength workouts, and hills. Some things, like throwing a spear at a bale of hay, I'm not able to improve lol, so I'll also work on my Burmese which is your punishment for failing to complete the task.

I'm also signed up for the 30 day challenges, although this month is pretty easy, a mile a day.
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did the spartan race in Massachusetts last August, it was AWESOME, and hard! I trained more for the running part of it, so could have been more prepared for the upper body strength challenges. I climbed a rock wall, a rope, and had to drag tractor tires through the mud. I crawled 100 yards (felt like further) in themed under barbed wire, andattem
    Ted to get over an 8 foot wall (failed, I'm only 5'2" and I don't jump well.

It was a blast, and I was ready to sign up for 2014 but my nephew is getting married that weekend. So I've signed upto be notified for the Fenway Park Spartan, but no idea on the date for it yet.

Next race I'd do way more upper body strength workouts, and hills. Some things, like throwing a spear at a bale of hay, I'm not able to improve lol, so I'll also work on my Burmese which is your punishment for failing to complete the task.

I'm also signed up for the 30 day challenges, although this month is pretty easy, a mile a day.

So encouraging to hear.. what is a Burmese? Is that like a burpee?