Question about the MFP nutritional goals

Options
Im just getting used to legitimately dieting, I've been doing a low carb diet for the past 2-3 weeks and I've lost a few pounds.

I have of questions about the MFP nutritional guidelines the site gave me when I entered my info. It said I should consume over 2900 calories, 370 carbs, 99 grams of fat and 148 grams of protein daily. This seems excessive, especially the carbs. Am I missing something here, I'm new to this so any help would be great. I'm not sure how the formula is calculated...ect to produce those numbers. I changed exercise to none to see if it changed but it is the same, just curious.

Thank you!

Replies

• Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is this where I should be asking this kind of question or would this need to go somewhere else?
  • MattQuinnFitness
    MattQuinnFitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, those numbers it game me as well seemed really off. But the thing is you can read up on Nutrition and adjust it accordingly. Like for carbs it had me at about 340 and I just changed it to 209 Grams, My Fat is 70 Grams, and my Protein is 157 Grams a day. In the next few days when I get back into the gym though I am going to add an extra 43 Grams of protein and make it a solid 200. But I wont be complaining much if I go over the protein mark. For losing weight you just mainly need to keep the Carbs and fat in control the most.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your nutrition goals. What I do each time I need to change my calorie goal is I use MFP's recommended goals and then I go back in the custom goals and change my carbs to 40%, fat to 30%, protein to 30%. If you use the %s then it will adjust it when you add exercise calories.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, those numbers it game me as well seemed really off. But the thing is you can read up on Nutrition and adjust it accordingly. Like for carbs it had me at about 340 and I just changed it to 209 Grams, My Fat is 70 Grams, and my Protein is 157 Grams a day. In the next few days when I get back into the gym though I am going to add an extra 43 Grams of protein and make it a solid 200. But I wont be complaining much if I go over the protein mark. For losing weight you just mainly need to keep the Carbs and fat in control the most.

I'm sorry but to lose weight you need to control your calories - ie eat at a deficit. Personally I find it easier to stick to my deficit with higher fat and protein and lower carbs so adjusted the proportions manually.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but to lose weight you need to control your calories - ie eat at a deficit. Personally I find it easier to stick to my deficit with higher fat and protein and lower carbs so adjusted the proportions manually.

Agree. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. You can set your macros however you like. Many people prefer the 40-30-30 approach (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat), but for weight loss, it's really about what you find most sustainable. Higher protein and fiber will help you stay full, but if you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how active are you? Based on your ticket, should I guess you are over 300 lbs? And realistically, as long as you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass, then the rest can be carbs. I am 5'11, 31 years old, 190 lbs, have a desk job and work out 6 hours a week and I lose weight at 2400-2600 calories with macronutrients at 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. I generally get over 250g of carbs. Keep in mind that fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, which can come from suppression of any macronutrient.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    MFP is not set up to be low-carb. You can alter them if you feel like a low-carb diet does/will work for you, but MFP focuses on the calorie deficit for weight loss. I find the level of carbs works well for me, but I make most of them whole grains.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how active are you? Based on your ticket, should I guess you are over 300 lbs? And realistically, as long as you hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass, then the rest can be carbs. I am 5'11, 31 years old, 190 lbs, have a desk job and work out 6 hours a week and I lose weight at 2400-2600 calories with macronutrients at 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. I generally get over 250g of carbs. Keep in mind that fat loss comes from a calorie deficit, which can come from suppression of any macronutrient.

Yes I'm over 400 pounds actually. I'm 22 and 6'4. I currently walk 5 days a week, full time student right now so not very active other than walking for about 5-7 hours a week.

I've been keeping my carbs under 50-60 per day based off of some things I've read which is why 370 really threw me off. I don't necessarily watch the calories though, but I do watch fat and try to eat protein but this was before I found this site.

What do you guys mean with the percentages, is it like 30% of the caloric intake? I haven't really explored the MFP tool or app in depth yet.
  • Snrussell09
    Options

Thanks, I will check it out. I'd say go Cowboys but we are not currently on good terms.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macro settings are 55carb/15protein/30fat. You can customize your macro goals however you please. My macros change with my training...the more cardio/endurance training I'm doing, the higher carb I eat and lower fat...in the winter I'm primarily lifting weights and just doing some joy rides on my bike and I eat a pretty balanced ratio of 40c/30p/30f.

Many obese individuals, even if they aren't diabetic and insulin resistant do have insulin sensitivities and can benefit from a reduction of carbs. I'm personally not a big fan of super low carb diets but that's because I'm very active and I'd just bonk on about mile 10 of a joy ride.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I didn't realize it was majorly a calorie deficit system.

What does the 55/15/30 figure mean? Is it percentages of daily calories or something?