Lifting (leg day) and running problem

Options
2»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You're just going to have to mess with your schedule as everyone is a little bit of a unicorn where recovery and performance is concerned.

My current schedule is more running than lifting focused but it's working pretty well for me for my present goals (not lose any strength and PR a half marathon in February):
    Monday - Lift
    Tuesday - 5 to 6 mile easy run
    Wednesday - either 400m intervals or tempo run
    Thursday - 4 to 5 miles and lifting (lifting on this day is a shorter session)
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - long run (13 to 16 miles)
    Sunday - 4 to 5 mile run

I find that the easy run on Tuesday is a great way to relieve any soreness from lifting on Monday and by Wednesday I'm ready for my speed workout.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later. good info.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'd like some feedback on lifting and running, in particular - I'm having a "leg day" dilema. I love lifting and I love running. My problem is the DOMS that will last for days after a leg day and affect my runs. What do you all do with leg day and upcoming runs.... days off after legs... short runs after leg day... stretching... I've tried several different approaches to no avail. My upper body is coming along nicely with muscle definition and I'd like to see the same in my legs but almost feel like I have to give up leg day in order to continue my running... help!!!!!!

perkybutt,
    give your legs a minimum of two solid days of rest to restore the glycogen stores in them before lifting. The biggest problem with DOMS is not resting.
    Don't perform resistance training on the same day as running. It doesn't seem like your legs have enough energy stored for a long run plus resistance training. Few people do!
    OR progressively and patiently work up to it in about a year. But it sounds like you are not resting the legs.

- coach T. certified Advanced personal trainer
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'd like some feedback on lifting and running, in particular - I'm having a "leg day" dilema. I love lifting and I love running. My problem is the DOMS that will last for days after a leg day and affect my runs. What do you all do with leg day and upcoming runs.... days off after legs... short runs after leg day... stretching... I've tried several different approaches to no avail. My upper body is coming along nicely with muscle definition and I'd like to see the same in my legs but almost feel like I have to give up leg day in order to continue my running... help!!!!!!

perkybutt,
    give your legs a minimum of two solid days of rest to restore the glycogen stores in them before lifting. The biggest problem with DOMS is not resting.
    Don't perform resistance training on the same day as running. It doesn't seem like your legs have enough energy stored for a long run plus resistance training. Few people do!
    OR progressively and patiently work up to it in about a year. But it sounds like you are not resting the legs.

- coach T. certified Advanced personal trainer

I SERIOUSLY doubt she's depleting glycogen in her daily workouts. Even her long run doesn't sound like it's long enough to deplete glycogen. And it shouldn't take 48 hours to replenish glycogen from a 10 mile run or an hour of lifting.
  • Gmajodster
    Gmajodster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. Looks like I can try a couple different things to help with the DOMS and continue with my running. I think I'll try my long run tomorrow...leg day the next and a really easy recovery run after upper body the day after that. We shall see how that works! :)