Help me love my brown rice and/or Quinoa

Options
124»

Replies

• Sheamousemom
    Options
    you can toast the quinoa in the over first before you cook it-give it a nice nutty flavor.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm making "fried" brown rice. Took brown rice and let it cool. In a large brown, brown chopped carrots and onions. Add the rice, flatten, let cook for a minute and repeat. Throw in some defrosted peas. Cook for another minute. Move the rice to one side of the pan, and throw in some beaten eggs, scramble and stir into the rice.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Google "Allie Vincent's Quinoa Salad" You'll love it.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I purchased a $20 rice cooker from Amazon because my $200 rice cooker died after a few uses. (Long story.) The $20 one works better, to be honest.

Cook that rice in vegetable stock! My FAVORITE dinner right now is steamed brown (or basmati for me) rice. I cook the rice plain but then stir-fry veggies and add them along for the ride. Then I top it off with some green onions, slivered blanched and peeled almonds for crunch, and a delicious runny egg. (Egg whites would work as well in this instance if you have a concern about your cholesterol)... it's delicious. I eat it a few times a week. Sometimes I do it with quinoa instead of rice. Sometimes I use spaghetti squash. :)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You could try the cooked rice chilled with some chopped goat cheese, cranberries and pecans. This would probably work warm as well but I like the chilled goat cheese myself. I noticed you have alot of new options now from other members as well, good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cook it with some chicken broth.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Could you have GF pasta? Pasta made with corn/brown rice/quinoa is pretty tasty and should fit your needs.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    skinny taste edamame fried rice.
  • danascott798
    danascott798 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I put small julienne carrots and little pieces of broccoli sometimes, adds a little texture. But try hot sauce, works for me!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Seeds of Change Brown rice/garlic and Quinoa...Simply AMAZING!!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I'm on a fairly restricted diet that requires me to have 1 cup of GF grain a day. Brown and quinoa have been my go to grains thus far. Honestly I've never been a huge fan of rice and sometimes I'm not all that thrilled with my quinoa.

For example today I cooked 2 cups of it so I have it for the rest of the week. I tossed in some garlic cloves, onion and smoked paprika while it cooks. I had it with my lunch and it was...meh.

What are your favorite tips for cooking rice so it comes out just right? Do you throw anything in? Any amazing recipes you can share with me? I'm also open to quinoa suggestions (I usually soak it, toast it and boil it with some veg bullion) or any other health GF grain suggestions.

(I'm Gluten, Dairy (goat milk based is okay), Corn and Soy Free. Also Vegetarian. )

Thanks in advance! Also need more friends for motivation! :smile:

You can make a sweet breakfast quinoa / brown rice (similar to porridge or oatmeal) by adding goat's milk, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg or make it savory and throw some tomato puree, curry, caramelized onions, and olive oil.

Also, rather than just throwing in the garlic, try roasting it or sauteeing it first with some olive oil and putting the rice in it like a stir fry or make a sauce with it.

Question though: If you're dairy free why have goat's milk > regular milk or cream?