I want to get fit and lose weight in 2014

Options
Hi guys, I have just come back after a few months off due to illness. Unfortunately I know I have put on even more weight but I really want to lose it and get fit at the same time. Can anyone suggest what I should do to start lifting please? i.e. what size of weights and what exercises and for how long etc. It would be a huge help and believe me I really need help!! :wink:

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    First, look into a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. Most good programs will focus on compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press. If you are unsure of form, spend some time on youtube watching form videos. (You can also ask a trainer to help if they will give you 1-2 sessions without commitment)

Start with a weight you *know* you can lift. If it's too easy (you can do 12+ reps easily) then add 5-10 pounds. Keep doing this until you find the weight that is right for you for the reps in the program you choose. As you build strength, you can add more weight so you're still getting a workout.

Eat at a small deficit. I would suggest TDEE-15% (or even -10%) or setting MFP to lose 1/2 pound per week. Eat plenty of protein … the general thought is 1g protein for every pound of lean body mass. It may also work out about right to set your protein at about 25% of your calorie intake. Drink plenty of water.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: