Binging after anorexia?

Options
I've been trying to recover from anorexia for months now and for ages I was doing it by monitoring calories, and I made sure to eat 2000 calories a day but I just continued losing weight which made no sense to me because I am 5'3" and am usually 88 pounds and I don't really exercise so by all logic I should have been gaining weight, however, a few day days ago I stepped onto the scales and had lost weight again and i went on this gigantic binge, eating any and all junk food I could get my hands on and I decided calorie counting wasn't going to work, but now I've stopped counting it seems I just keep on going on huge binges on crap like biscuits and chocolate and anything else I can get my hands on and I just feel like crap afterward, physically and mentally. I really want to get back to a place where I eat because I'm hungry, not because I'm bored or avoiding something and I don't really know how.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If 2000 calories isn't working. Eat 2500 calories. If you haven't already, try talking to a professional on this subject or a doctor. We can only give you minimal advice because we don't know the whole story.

All I can advise is that you make sure you get enough fats and protein in your diet. Your body is in need of so much nutrition that it has missed out on. After your body gets used to eating regular meals that desire to binge should probably go away.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, what you eat matters when trying to recover from anorexia. Too many carbs can lead to refeeding syndrome. You really need to have someone helping you with this IMO.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    First of all I hope you are seeking professional help for your eating disorder. For a person in recovery for anorexia a period of over-feeding is part of the treatment. 2000 cals is still going to be too low for you to recover. Please read this information and check out the rest of the website. It can point you to some professional help if you have not already sought it.

http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories.html
  • October1234
    Options
    You need to seek professional help for this as re feeding syndrome is a serious issue when increasing food intake in sufferers of anorexia and can have quite serious effects/lasting damage to organs. Please seek help from your GP/doctor. I work with Eating disorder sufferers in my day job and this is something that is closely monitored when an inpatient in psychiatric care during recovery.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I echo the professional help recommendation. Great resources available out there and at 88 lbs you are probably still close to diagnostic requirements (diagnostic requirements for anorexia is not based on calories eaten b4 anyone freaks out on me). However, recognition and desire for change are huge steps in the right direction. Question: you mention a 2000 calorie diet. How much are you working out? I ask bc there is a subset of bulimia that purges through exercise. If you work out a lot, it would not be a surprise that your losing weight. Good luck in your journey to health.
  • LolaMyCola
    Options
    I never got into exercise, it was more calorie counting and I have sought out professional help, that's partly why I got so frustrated. But thank you all.
  • BellaNunnery
    Options
    Binging after anorexia is a common problem. I suggest you read the book 'brain over binge' which you can download online. It would be a massive help I am sure to helping you understand what is happening in your brain and reading about someone who has experienced the same feelings and thoughts
  • linorang1
    Options
    Anorexia is a clear indicator that harsh Repercussions such as metabolic damage have or will occur, i recommend you look into the videos posted by Layne norton on this topic. I personally have never experienced eating disorders, so i cannot exemplify my experiences.
  • __sleepingbeauty
    Options
    As i have exactly the same experience as you I might be able to help. When i was at my lowest weight when suffering from Eds and WANTED to gain weight it didn't work. I just kept getting smaller and smaller even though i was eating a lot more. When i visited my doctor specialized in patients with eating disorders she said it was perfectly normal that this happens. The metabolism speeds up when you start eating again! Its burning a lot more now when its getting food! She just advised me eat even bigger portions than normal- but to eat healthy. I gained 6kg's after that in about 2 months which gave me an healthy bmi.

Just keep eating healthy (also good for the mentality about food, please don't binge) and eat slightly bigger portions. Just remember right now your metabolism is working super hard when it finally gets food. Hope it works out!