I need cheese alternative suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• judyamk
    judyamk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are millions of recipes out there on the net that you do not use cheese!!! I know I know because I am a cheese lover. also !!!! My brother David introduced me to all kinds of cheese some I never new existed I had to stop I could not just have the size of a dice piece, but rather a palm size piece!! so it was hard for me to back off. Greek yogurt may be a substitute the dish will not taste as good as the cheese one, but remember it is all about getting healthier!!
    Judy
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses! This newbie really appreciates all the info!! :happy:

If you gave up milk because of GI issues, try using fermented milk products (plain yogurt, kefir, labnan, etc.) They works totally different for GI than milk and actually can be beneficial for G (unless you can't tolerate lactose). If it is not lactose intolerance, try goat cheese. Goat milk has different protein structure than cow milk and much gentler for the digestive system (in old times, when there were no baby formula, babies were fed with goat milk, because it closer by structure to human breast milk than cow milk). I would go this way rather than using processed vegan products. If you completely cant' use diary, than just stop using old recipes and search and try something new without cheese.
  • Fit_Natasha
    Options
    Good for you, I myself, can't imagine a world without manufactured yellow american cheese...even though I am pretty sure, if I stop eating it or at least GREATLY reducing my intake, I will feel much better, I don't even like any other cheese...just yellow american...Lawd help me, what our alternatives to it that won't make me want to turn my head in disgust? (super picky)

I've never seen this in any country around the world -- yellow coloring added to the cheese. It looks gross! France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Australia (you name it!) produces tons of the cheese of different variety for centuries, and none of them came with the idea to add ugly yellow chemical to the cheese. I never can understand what was the purpose of doing it in America? Other than it looks ugly yellow, it taste nothing like cheese at all.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I myself, can't imagine a world without manufactured yellow american cheese...even though I am pretty sure, if I stop eating it or at least GREATLY reducing my intake, I will feel much better, I don't even like any other cheese...just yellow american...Lawd help me, what our alternatives to it that won't make me want to turn my head in disgust? (super picky)

I've never seen this in any country around the world -- yellow coloring added to the cheese. It looks gross! France, Italy, Spain, Holland, Australia (you name it!) produces tons of the cheese of different variety for centuries, and none of them came with the idea to add ugly yellow chemical to the cheese. I never can understand what was the purpose of doing it in America? Other than it looks ugly yellow, it taste nothing like cheese at all.
    Just follow the money.
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You know what is funny...I had done some food sensitivity testing about a year ago due to the GI issues. Annatto is a natural food coloring used in a lot of cheeses to color them yellow/orange. I was sensitive to annatto and had to avoid it for a while. Made me wish they'd just leave the coloring alone!
  • Fit_Natasha
    Options
    You know what is funny...I had done some food sensitivity testing about a year ago due to the GI issues. Annatto is a natural food coloring used in a lot of cheeses to color them yellow/orange. I was sensitive to annatto and had to avoid it for a while. Made me wish they'd just leave the coloring alone!

Good to know about annatto. The good thing that there are tons of good cheeses that are natural white/off white color.