"adopt" a Noob?? Re-starting need help

Options
Hello all...I am hoping some of you will "adopt" me as a friend, especially those who have had success in weight loss/management.

I need all the tips and tools I can. I love new recipes, suggestions for treats, new exercises etc....

Anyone? Anyone?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Tell you what, how about I recommend a book that will get you started and where you won't need a foster parent? lol

Anyways, I recommend you pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a easy book about the fundamentals of exercise, whether or not you decide to lift weights. I promise you won't regret it, and it'll put you years ahead of most women who workout. Nothing special in the book, just the basics which is nice.
  • edarnell08
    edarnell08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So shoot me some questions and I will help all that I can.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sure I'll play... i've been on here for almost 2 years. I've hit goal, lowered my goal, let my weight creep up a tad and then reigned it back in. All in all I'm pretty straight forward and cringe when folks quote Dr. Oz. as a reputable source... I'll send you a FR, check out my profile and get to know me. I'm a little crazy, but mostly in a good way. Good luck!
  • MoJoPain
    Options
    I am very open to new books. THank you for the suggestion. I will pick it up this weekend. I definitely need a basics reminder.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    You've got SideSteel on your FL, you're halfway there already. The Eat Train Progress group that he runs is awesome.

Hit me up if my profile appeals to you :smile:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Sure I'll play... i've been on here for almost 2 years. I've hit goal, lowered my goal, let my weight creep up a tad and then reigned it back in. All in all I'm pretty straight forward and cringe when folks quote Dr. Oz. as a reputable source... I'll send you a FR, check out my profile and get to know me. I'm a little crazy, but mostly in a good way. Good luck!

It's true. she's awesome. I'm also available if you have any specific questions I'll do my best to help.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you can promise not to starve yourself and at least consider lifting weights, I can promise to advise and support you. I have reached my goal weight and now I'm working on recomping (losing fat and gaining muscle) by calorie cycling and lifting heavy. Let me know if you need help getting started, setting goals, etc.

Good luck and happy new year!
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anyone to mentor in a while as all of my friends I got to sign up at MFP bailed within a month or two for their B-12 'weight loss shots' and Dr. Oz raspberry ketones mess... my inbox is always open :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sure thing, send a FR and ask some questions.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Tell you what, how about I recommend a book that will get you started and where you won't need a foster parent? lol

Anyways, I recommend you pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a easy book about the fundamentals of exercise, whether or not you decide to lift weights. I promise you won't regret it, and it'll put you years ahead of most women who workout. Nothing special in the book, just the basics which is nice.

I concur on reading this book.
    Full of great knowledge.

I tried the program, found it too complicated and time consuming for my taste but you may like it.
    You're welcome to add me if you'd like a lady lifter on your list.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

I tried the program, found it too complicated and time consuming for my taste but you may like it.
    Another recommendation for this book. And agree that it is a little too time-consuming and more complicated than necessary for a beginner. You're also welcome to add me if you don't mind having someone hanging around who isn't terribly focused on restricting calories right now and trying to get crazy strong lifting big rocks.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

Another recommendation for this book. And agree that it is a little too time-consuming and more complicated than necessary for a beginner. You're also welcome to add me if you don't mind having someone hanging around who isn't terribly focused on restricting calories right now and trying to get crazy strong lifting big rocks.

Agree. Highly recommend. Let me know if you want to see my hideous "before lifting" pics! Good luck!!!
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got the book New Rules of Lifting... and i agree totally. Also another that worked really well for me about 6 years ago was Sculpting Her Body Perfect. Easy to follow.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

I misread the last line of your post and combined with your profile pic, I thought you were talking about getting crazy lifting socks...
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

Agree. Highly recommend. Let me know if you want to see my hideous "before lifting" pics! Good luck!!!
    Heather lies, the "before pics" are far from hideous.
    :smooched:
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

Sculpting Her Body Perfect is better for beginners in my opinion. I did that one first and I don't really like programs. It lets you put your own routines together. Food suggestions, not exactly what to eat
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    ADD ME ANYONE WHO NEEDS SUPPORT!!
    I fell off the bang wagon a couple months ago now I'm looking to get straight back into it!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

I agree with all of this.

One book that I continuously go back to is Starting Strength, which is a bit more technical and focuses on form.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

One book that I continuously go back to is Starting Strength, which is a bit more technical and focuses on form.

I really need to buy that book!
    Which edition do you have Otter??

Starting Strength is another highly recommended program - but doesn't it involved cleans?

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great & simple program too
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Full of great knowledge.

I really need to buy that book!
    Which edition do you have Otter??

Starting Strength is another highly recommended program - but doesn't it involved cleans?

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great & simple program too

I have the 3rd edition on my kindle. I never used it for the program. TBH, I picked it up when I started StrongLifts. But, it has really easy to read break downs of form for the big major lifts, so no matter what program you end up using I feel that it could be of value. My current ruytine is based around a lot of the StrongLifts core, with a bunch of accessories in a bit higher rep range thrown in.