Replacement for planks?

Options
Planks are off my menu atm. Suggestions for substitutes?

Plank issue is that (experimented last night) they're exacerbating my IIH/PTC. If you don't know what it is, it means my head feels today as if it's about to split open. And with this condition, drugs don't reduce the pain.

Desperately need the core work!

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Can you do hanging leg raises? Those are great for your core.

Squats and deadlifts are better but those will make your head explode without any other underlying condition.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Will definitely try hanging leg raises - thank you!

Yeah, squats & deadlifts are out. But seated leg press & walking lunges are okay. Talk about frustrating! Still, it's time to focus on what IS possible.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Why do you think that? Ab exercises don't target ab fat.. if that's what you're trying to do.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Why do you think that? Ab exercises don't target ab fat.. if that's what you're trying to do.

Nope, not trying to spot reduce (agreed - it doesn't work!). Am currently focusing on flexibility and core, as those were neglected in favor of heavy lifting that was not balanced. Meaning that the variety of lifts I could do was medically restricted, *and* I ignored core, flexibility, and cardio. In my 20s, I had lumbar surgery, so I really DO know better!

Still working with those medical restrictions, yet determined to take a long-term solution approach. I am presently focusing on restoring my core, flexibility, and cardio. Will also do some bodyweight exercises, but that's it for a while. Gaining/keeping muscle has never been an issue for me (I bench 200+), and I look forward to returning to lifting heavy again, probably towards the end of 2014.