Today is my anniversary...

Options
Today is my boyfriend and I's first anniversary, to celebrate we are going to a fancy, expensive steakhouse in Downtown Dallas. I'm afraid! I love steak and I know it's delicious there! My dad says it's a diet killer and I should make other plans.. My parents are very strict on we eat, especially growing up, but even now that were adults.

What should I do? I want to get steak, and be worry free on this happy day but I don't want to lose all my progress. Help please!

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, steak is actually a pretty decent choice when you eat out at a restaurant. Get a 6 or 8 oz. with vegetables, and you could ask them to go light on the oil or butter. Steak is in no way a diet killer.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    From my personal experience, steak is actually a pretty decent choice when you eat out at a restaurant. Get a 6 or 8 oz. with vegetables, and you could ask them to go light on the oil or butter. Steak is in no way a diet killer.
    ^^^This^^^

Steak is a great source of protein, though not the leanest. Maybe avoid the fattier cuts like ribeye. I would personally avoid any baked/mashed/french-fried potatoes and just stick with meat and veggies.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Go out enjoy the steak and your anniversary. One meal does not make a diet killer. You don't lose weight eating 1 salad, you don't get fat eating one delicious good steak dinner. Steak is also a great source of protein, delicious and even better if wrapped in bacon. Enjoy!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    First, steak isn't necessarily bad, plus it's a celebration, one day of the year, not a habit. Enjoy it! Second, you're 20 years old, time to make some of your own decisions for yourself. Eat steak and enjoy!! Have dessert! Happy Anniversary!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old and you're worried about what your dad thinks? I'd tell him to mind his own beeswax. Eat what you want, you're a grown woman.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Pound down 5000 calories and then get back to business as usual, you won't even notice a difference after the water and waste weight come off the next day.

Rigger
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You're 20 years old and you're worried about what your dad thinks? I'd tell him to mind his own beeswax. Eat what you want, you're a grown woman.

Yeah, I'm also wondering why your dad has any say in what you eat...
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    No, to all of you above, I don't care what he thinks, but I value his insight. Him and my mom know a lot about nutrition and fitness. I don't live with him, he does not make my decisions, but still.

The reason I posted is to get a second opinion on what he said, that's all.

I asked his opinion, like I asked all of you. He made a suggestion, like all of you. He has no say other than it like to hear other opinions than my own, just like all of you. I just want opinions.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    When I order steak, I go for a sirloin, medium or medium well. You can ask the waiter not to have your steak cooked in butter. Get a veggie side dish (I LOVE brocolli), and if you get a baked potato, get it plain or with just one topping.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Oh my...nothing wrong with STEAK! Eat up!!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! Eat what you want and enjoy yourself. It is a special occasion and dinner at a steakhouse is by no means a "diet killer."
    I will be celebrating my 10 year anniversary at the end of the month (also in Dallas) and will eat with abandon.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Looked up .. NY Striploin Steak, 440 cal , and NY Steak and Veggies .. about 410 cal. This is from a local restaurant .. so the whole steak is bad thing is just a bunch of ****. All the other macros are in line .. nothing bad here.

So .. have fun and enjoy your night.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Go out enjoy the steak and your anniversary. One meal does not make a diet killer. You don't lose weight eating 1 salad, you don't get fat eating one delicious good steak dinner. Steak is also a great source of protein, delicious and even better if wrapped in bacon. Enjoy!

^^ This. My wife and I celebrated an annaversary in early December. We ate at Cheesecake factory!!!. Yes, I was up a couple of pounds the next day....but big deal. I was back to my "pre-cheescake" weight in a couple of days and losing again before the end of the week. You cant let one meal derail progress. Go and enjoy yourself and then get back after it.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary!

Just enjoy the dinner and the moment!
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    In Dallas too. Enjoy your meal with him. Possibly eat smaller portions, if you go over, work out. If you are in a romantic, intimate relationship with him, well, you know, that burns calories too.

Enjoy your anniversary, you have plenty of time to burn off the calories but only one, first anniversary.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Steak with fresh slices of tomatoes … MMM MMMM MMMMMMM
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    When I order steak, I go for a sirloin, medium or medium well. You can ask the waiter not to have your steak cooked in butter. Get a veggie side dish (I LOVE brocolli), and if you get a baked potato, get it plain or with just one topping.

But be warned that creamed spinach--a popular steakhouse side-iis not a low-cal option.
  • nycmark
    nycmark Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it without any guilt..Like others said it is only 1 meal. Also uyou can cut it in half right away` and take the other half home for for another meal. Damn....you are making me hungry..lol..
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I don't eat steak but from reading about it, (as well as depending on the way it's cooked) it can be good for you because of the protein content. But regardless, it's your anniversary. Enjoy your steak and your boyfriend and have a good time.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

But be warned that creamed spinach--a popular steakhouse side-iis not a low-cal option.

Good point, but be encouraged that as long as you figure out how many calories are in it beforehand, and save yourself enough calories for the dinner, you can feel absolutely free to eat that creamed spinach! :) It's all about making a plan, having a strategy, and working it in. You can have it ALL! :)