Shedding the Christmas pounds

As no doubt everyone knows, the only thing that seems to get lighter at Christmas is our wallets! It's all too easy to fall into having another mince pie, saying to ourselves "It's Christmas!" and then before you know it, BAM! Those pounds just seem to come out of nowhere.
So I was wondering, what's everyone's best method of losing and keeping off the weight over the festive period? I tend to try and keep temptation at bay by simply not having too many indulgences in the house (cos I know I'd just eat them all) but with friends and family bringing over tins of sweets/ biscuits as presents it can get pretty hard to resist!
Any ideas/tips?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I tend to look at the bigger picture...what I do on Christmas day or even those weeks that constitute the holiday season are largely irrelevant to the other 52 weeks out of the year.

But by and large, while I enjoy myself, I don't use the festivities as a reason to just mindlessly stuff myself. I enjoy myself and eat and be merry...but my pants aren't exploding by the end of Christmas dinner. I am actually somewhat fortunate in that I don't have a tremendous sweet tooth so most of the cookies and cakes and pies, etc don't really hold much appeal to me...I'm far more likely to indulge in savory things and beer.

Really though, I just keep on keepin' on...I continue with my fitness regimen and keep my eyes on the bigger picture...a couple of weeks is largely irrelevant to the whole of the year.
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Same as above, why I do 50 or 51 weeks of the year definitely outdoes what is done for 1 week of the year. Saying that I dont use that as a green light to shove everything in my face. Yes I enjoy it and I do eat too much but that's ok as long as the good outweighs the bad.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    I let myself eat at maintenance the week of Christmas. I didn't binge, go crazy or over do it. I simply let myself enjoy the holidays. I put on about 5 pounds that week, 95% of which was just water weight. I am now back at the weight I was before the week of Christmas. By allowing myself to eat at maintenance I prevented a lot of binging and regret.
  • Sounds like everyone is pretty good at not overindulging at Christmas whilst still having a good time. I've never dieted before and have always been able to eat what I want until I started uni so trying to show some self control and eat snacks/ sweets in moderation is actually pretty tough! ^^U Just have to be a bit more vigilant and keep focused I guess. Thanks for all the replies, everyone :)