Starting Strength - Overwhelmed!

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get some advice/support/whatever.

I made a new years resolution this year to start lifting, so I bought Starting Strength for my kindle app and started to read.

And wow - what a lot of information! It's all very interesting and I'm learning a lot, but there's an awful lot to take in. I'm back at the gym on Monday and wanted to give it a whirl, but even with SS I'm not sure where to start. Do I need to read the whole thing cover to cover before venturing over to the weights section? Or can I "get away with" following the programme in the back, and relying on the pictures and youtube videos for form?

I should say that this is a completely solo project - I have no friends who go to the gym to help me, and I can't afford a trainer so I'll be all on my own. Is that wise? Or should I wait and save up to be able to hire a trainer for a session to get the basic form down?

I want to do this - I've seen the results others get and it looks amazing - but I am absolutely clueless as to where to start and how to go about actually lifting.

All help appreciated!

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    get the video too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Read the book and follow the program as lined out. I would venture that you can start before actually reading every word...but you should keep reading and that book is very valuable down the road when you think you've got it all in hand but your lower back is kinda hurting because suddenly you've lost your squat form...you can always go back.

If you follow the program you will be starting at very light weight to primarily work on your form and to also not over-load your muscles, especially your smaller assistance muscles with too much weight...and then you build up. If you're dieting you may not be able to progress as quickly as the plan lays it out because of your energy deficit...but you can make solid progress. i did this program for my first 9 months or so back in the weight room and it was phenomenal.

Definitely check out YouTube videos and watch them over and over...also, don't be afraid to ask someone at the gym to spot check your form...I see some people with horrible form and I want to tell them, but just bite my lip 'cuz people get cranky...but I'm more than happy to help people make corrections when they ask.

good luck and have fun.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    animations of the how to of exercises are very helpful.

I use JeFit because it has this for the exercises that are in the routines. I take the JeFit App with me so I can log the exercise and so I can see how to do it if necessary. It syncs with their web site.

In the meantime immerse yourself in it. You can get books at the library too.

After each workout review what worked, what didn't and adjust. Sometimes an exercise is too difficult but there is a easier beginner version. When I started I was modifying to make things easier until I got stronger. Find what will be doable but challenging enough that you make progress.

Stick with it and you will get there.
  • Read the book, watch the videos, and also film yourself and send it to us meat heads and we can give you pointers on where you made a mistake and how to fix it.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Try to get comfortable with one lift per workout session. Take the book with you to the gym. Refer to it as you practice.