Low sugar diet + timed eating+ walking=weight loss success?

Options
I followed a diet plan which equaled about 1200 calories a day, with no more than 20 grams of sugar (not carbs-just sugar), eating every 3 hours for a total of about 5-6 small snacks/meals. Along with this I walked at about a 4mph pace for anywhere between 20 min and 1 hour about 5 times per week. It worked-I lost 30 pounds almost effortlessly in about 5 months. Nothing else, including lifting, constant cardio and strength training, high veggie and fruit diets, high protein diets, low fat diets, etc. worked for me. My body doesn't even seem to handle the sugars from good veggies and fruits properly. I'm not sure, but I think this may be some type of metabolic syndrome or state of pre-diabetes. Any ideas about why this would be the only thing that works? Has anyone else with this issue found success through doing this?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has not been shown to affect weight loss in any meaningful way. It can, however, help with adherence depending on personal preference.

Restricting sugar is not really beneficial either. The important part is consuming less calories than you burn.

Walking is a great form of cardio, especially for beginners.

However, congratulations on your weight loss!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It worked because you followed it closely and it created a calorie deficit. Meal timing and sugar intake are irrelevant to weight loss.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Yep, calorie deficit. It's really quite simple.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    1200 calories /day + exercising at that pace is what did it. Unless you ate some calories back, you averaged <1000 calories a day. There's your weight loss.

As for your comment of your body not handling sugar right -- Go see a doctor. Something doesn't sound right. Have you had your blood tested , and know that you have high sugar levels? No idea about the metabolic nature of things -- but this is what the doctor can check for you. Fruits/veggies are good for you and provide wonderful nutrients.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me, sugar is an addiction. The more I eat, the more I crave. Therefore, I need to cut out sugar as well to cut the cravings. After the cravings disappear, I can slowly add in some good carbs and fruit, but the best thing for me to jump start my weightloss is to cut the sugar.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't even seem to handle the sugars from good veggies and fruits properly. I'm not sure, but I think this may be some type of metabolic syndrome or state of pre-diabetes.
    Have you done any bloodwork with your doctor?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would get to the doctor and get a blood panel done.

I have hypothyroid, and I had similar conditions that needed to be met to get me started, but really it could be any of a number of different metabolic-related issues. They all have WAY to many overlapping symptoms and nonspecific symptoms to diagnose without bloodwork. Nobody will be able to tell you what's up other than a doctor.
  • Naturechick80
    Options
    I haven't had bloodwork done, but am considering doing that. I would agree about the calorie deficit principal, except when switching to more sugary foods/fruits on the same calorie and exercise plan-my body halted all progress until I returned to the lower sugar diet. I only discovered this due to extensive documentation of nutritional info and experimentation over a 2 year period, before I hit the magic formula that worked. My husband recently had me on small pure blended fruit smoothies for breakfast instead of my usual omlette-calories were equal-I started gaining about 1/2 pound every day. So, yes, a body should ideally work on the calorie deficit principal if it's working properly, however for mine, it most definitely does not.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    2 year period? Did you use MFP during that time? Would you consider opening your diary?
  • Naturechick80
    Options
    Lol, I don't think mfp existed from 2005-2007. Back then Excel was my best tool...