apple cider vinegar in water

Options
Over the years, I've read the adding apple cider vinegar to water helps aid in weight loss by helping to curb the appetite and rev up metabolism.

My questions are :

has anyone ever tried this?
how much do you put in, for example, a 500 ml bottle of water?
if you did try it, did it work for you?

any information would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i did white distiled vingar once... but it wasnt for weight loss
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I tried it. I forget why. My paleo friend made me do it, I think. Anyhow, the regular old cheap kind is horrendous. If you are going to do it, use Bragg's. But honestly, yuck.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Ok. Im 48 and my mom used to do that. I never noticed any weight loss benifits for her.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How does it actually "rev" up the metabolism? Like, what's the technicals?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. Comes from master cleanse, which is a steaming pile of hot, wet...ideas....that somehow got published in to a book.

I tried it once, and I kind of like the taste, but it does give you that nauseated acid stomach feeling like when you drink too much coffee. I suppose that is a way to curb the appetite.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like it in hot water with a couple teaspoons of honey. Not for weight loss, just because it is tasty when you have a cold.
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The water will help curb your appetite by itself. A lot of time people are really just thirsty/dehydrated, but they mistake it for being hungry.

Vinegar will not by itself help you lose weight. There are no tricks besides just counting your calories and eating right.

I'm told vinegar will help balance out the Ph balance in your stomach and reduce stomach indigestion/acid reflux. I'm skeptical about this because drinking an acid into an already acidic environment (your tummy) doesn't make sense to me.

Oh and yeah - Bragg's with the "mother" that's just plain funky nasty stuff.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It won't do anything, but it tastes pretty good diluted,IMO.

When I have it, I dilute it 1 ounce to 16 ounces.

As far as folk health schemes go, this one is at least harmless.
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Harmless if diluted, and taken in small amounts btw. My wife tried to do a shot glass of apple cider vinegar the first time and it didn't go well. LOL

I think even diluted it tastes nasty. Diluted, she like it though.
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I drink two tsp of Braggs per eight oz glass of water, sometimes with some
    honey or stevia. Dont know about the other claims but it helps me poo! Lol
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    Im getting ready to try ths Dr. Oz's slimdown drink:
    1 cup of grapefruit or orange or pineapple juice
    2tsp of apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp honey
    drink before each meal, breaks down fat cells faster then anything else.......

Hope it works. :)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Im getting ready to try ths Dr. Oz's slimdown drink:
    1 cup of grapefruit or orange or pineapple juice
    2tsp of apple cider vinegar
    1 tsp honey
    drink before each meal, breaks down fat cells faster then anything else.......

Hope it works. :)

Don't forget to log those calories.
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    just the smell nauseates me so ...

i drink LOTS of water....i drank 16 cups yesterday and it's only 1:13 p.m. here and I'm on cup 10 already for today...

i think i'll just stick with what im doing :)
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I drink a ton of water now to and it has helped me alot. I was thinking of trying the Dr. Oz thing on the weekends when I dont drink as much.....and yes I will log the calories :)
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    The water will help curb your appetite by itself. A lot of time people are really just thirsty/dehydrated, but they mistake it for being hungry.

Vinegar will not by itself help you lose weight. There are no tricks besides just counting your calories and eating right.

I'm told vinegar will help balance out the Ph balance in your stomach and reduce stomach indigestion/acid reflux. I'm skeptical about this because drinking an acid into an already acidic environment (your tummy) doesn't make sense to me.

Oh and yeah - Bragg's with the "mother" that's just plain funky nasty stuff.

Vinegar is a weak acid, but when compared to the acidic environment of the stomach is more basic than stomach environment. The pH of the human stomach is around 1. So drinking vinegar, which has a pH of around 2.9 will make the stomach more "basic", since it will increase the pH to its normal value.

The pH scale tells us acidity and basicity. Anything above 7.00 is consider basic, anything below 7.00 is acidic, but in relative terms, a pH of 3.00 is more basic than a pH of 1.00, just like a pH of 10.00 is more acidic than a pH of 14.00. Normally vinegar is acidic but in the context of the pH of the stomach it can be considered to be more basic than its surroundings.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but it doesn't work for weight loss, that way. It's not a magical diet enhancer, kick-starter, booster, etc. It does, however, help me when I'm out of calories and tired of drinking water, in the same way that drinking a full glass of water helps with satiety. I actually like the taste of ACV and water, though. One could easily do a cup or two of broth, instead of plain water.

But yeah, the only "trick" I've found to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than I previously ate. Who knew? :smile:
  • hawk4117
    hawk4117 Posts: 8
    Options
    I’ve been on this Apple cider/honey elixir now for going on 6 mo. and I feel great! 6 mo. ago my cholesterol was on the high side at 242 and my LDL was 157. Now my other numbers were ok and my HDL was high enough to where the Dr. didn’t write up any prescriptions for statin drugs. However, he did warn me that if I didn’t lower my numbers in 3 mo. he would put me on them. Now I do work out 3 days a week at the gym and at my age of 54, soon to be 55, I look pretty damn good for being an ole fart. Lol So I did some research on this vinegar/honey thing and was very pleased at some of the testimonials, so I figured I would give it a shot. The following is my regiment daily:
    Every morning when I first get up, before coffee and food I mix 2 tsp. of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp. raw organic honey in about 8 oz. water. Because raw organic honey is thick and like a paste, I first put the honey in a little bit of the water and nuke it for about 20 to 25 seconds. It helps break down the honey. Then add the rest of the water and lastly add the 2 tsp. of the vinegar. Something else that I do in conjunction with this daily elixir is take Metamucil twice a day. This also helps lower your cholesterol and keeps your sugar levels at a healthy number. The trick here is to down a glass of it before you eat or right after you eat. By mixing this with your food it actually helps sop up some of the bad stuff before it gets into your blood system. I really didn’t change my eating habits, but I’ve always limited myself on the red meats and shell fish, like shrimp, crab legs and lobster. So 3 mo. later when I had more blood work done I was totally blown away at my numbers. My total cholesterol shot down from 242 to 205 and my LDL went from 157 to 130. All because of this elixir! Long live the apples and the honey bees!
  • KJCowley
    KJCowley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not for weight loss, however, I take 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar w/ a 1/4 cup of Grape Fruit Juice (not from Concentrate) each morning and it helps suppress my appetite. If I know I'm going out to a BBQ or party, I may take this twice a day. Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've read the adding apple cider vinegar to water helps aid in weight loss by helping to curb the appetite and rev up metabolism.

Claims:
    1. apple cider vinegar + water aids in weight loss by curbing appetite
    2. apple cider vinegar + water aids in weight loss by revving up metabolism

Facts:
    For #1. The water is probably doing more for 'curbing appetite' than anything else. Some people add lemon to water to drink more water. Some people add a little juice. It really doesn't matter what you add. A small amount of anything in water isn't going to do any more for you than just water, except perhaps psychologically.

For #2: Your metabolism cannot be revved, jumpstarted, or otherwise harassed into burning more calories.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options