How many STRICT pullups can you do?

All the way down, arms locked out at the bottom, then chins over bar.

No flailing of the legs or butterfly pullups.

How many can you do and how many could you do at first? how did you progress?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i can do five + 40# pull-ups…

I guess I could probably do 20
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    lol i can watch:bigsmile:
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    12 or 13 depending on the day. Five and a half years ago, would struggle to try to do one.
  • TS3g
    TS3g Posts: 74 Member
    Wide or narrow grip, 20. Chinups (underhand), 25. About a year ago, I could only do 2 pullups or 4 chinups.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    5-10 top. I'm 120kg. Not easy.

See 70-80kg guys do millions. Amusing to see them out do me so easily! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    5-10 top. I'm 120kg. Not easy.

See 70-80kg guys do millions. Amusing to see them out do me so easily! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Couldn't do 1 at 127kg ... now at 114-115kg can pump out prob 5-6 strict wide grip pullups.

Get pain on my left forearm though. I guess I'm still too heavy lol
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    I can do 5.
    Minus 5.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Its more grip strength for me. Back can do it no problems at all. Forearms and hands, can't hold my bodyweight so well to do more than 10. Normally do 3-4 sets for up to 10 each time. I usually prefer assisted so the movement is all worked by my back. No ego here - I'm working my back so thats what I want to feel during the movement.

The pic there <<<<< is me so strength/muscle isn't the problem - simply a weight/grip issue.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    13 is my max, but I've got about 25 pounds of excess fat I gotta shed and I'm sure I'll be able to do a lot more
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    5 strict. Usually do three 'sets' of 8 where a set is 8 with rest in between lol

6 weeks ago, could do zero. Not even close

You guys are crazy strong lol
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    I can do a lot but have not measured max reps for a long time. I do muscle ups and weighted pull ups/chin ups now instead. As was pointed out above it helps to be light. At 176cm and 63kg I have a big advantage over people much larger than me.

One of my goals for 2014 is being able to complete a strict one arm pull up. It will be hard but likely achievable.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    I can currently do 12-13 when I'm fresh. I normally do sets of 10-8-8-6-6. I do use wrist straps though. I'm interested to see how many I can do once I cut down 15ish pounds for summer.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    I once saw a young high school girl do either 27 or 29 several years ago at a U.S. Marine Corps event, it was pretty funny - the Marines and a few navy operators were taken back by it.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Its more grip strength for me. Back can do it no problems at all. Forearms and hands, can't hold my bodyweight so well to do more than 10. Normally do 3-4 sets for up to 10 each time. I usually prefer assisted so the movement is all worked by my back. No ego here - I'm working my back so thats what I want to feel during the movement.

The pic there <<<<< is me so strength/muscle isn't the problem - simply a weight/grip issue.

I've heard Kroc Rows are a good back builder that also help grip.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Currently up to 9 at about 215lbs. Grip pain seems to be the biggest limiting factor. It really hurts my hands/forearms to have to hold on for too long. I need to try to rig something up with straps sometimes and see if I can do more.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    4 pull-ups, 7 chin-ups yesterday, but today I could only do 2 pull-ups and 6 chin-ups.

A month ago, I couldn't come close to doing a pull-up and could barely complete 2 chin-ups with some leg kicking to help me along. My immediate goal is 10 pull-ups and 15 chin-ups.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Pull-ups 0, Chin-ups 1. Working on sets of 5 x 8 with crossfit bands. 20lbs overweight; a work in progress this year.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Like 3 Seriously

I use assisted pull ups . Works charms :smokin:
  • edwardkim85
    Currently up to 9 at about 215lbs. Grip pain seems to be the biggest limiting factor. It really hurts my hands/forearms to have to hold on for too long. I need to try to rig something up with straps sometimes and see if I can do more.

I started practicing grip strength after watching YO ELLIOT.

1) grab a dumbbell head and hold it with palm beside boy until i can't grip anymore

2) towel(best method imo)

wrap a towel on a barbell where you grip. Load up weight on the barbell. Hold around the towel, palms facing IN and OUT(rotate) for as long as possible. Do 4-5 sets.

these are working for me better than wrist curls. wrist curls don't really work grip strength unforunately...
  • edwardkim85

I started practicing grip strength after watching YO ELLIOT.

1) grab a dumbbell head and hold it with palm beside boy until i can't grip anymore

2) towel(best method imo)

wrap a towel on a barbell where you grip. Load up weight on the barbell. Hold around the towel, palms facing IN and OUT(rotate) for as long as possible. Do 4-5 sets.

these are working for me better than wrist curls. wrist curls don't really work grip strength unforunately...

These and doing lots of bentover rows with diff grips helped my pullup...

Did 7 strict today weigh 252 lbs at 6 foot. Had problem with left hand grip before and a shooting pain in the forearm but it's disappearing now.