Uh oh, does Metformin make you lose your appetite?

Options
It is not like me at all to not find enough to eat in a day. I've been on Met a few weeks now, at a low dose, and recently I don't get hungry like I used to. Is it because my BG drops aren't screaming at me to eat? I have pre-diabetic BG levels that spike really high after meals, and my drops would still make me feel shaky and hungry and irritable even though my BG never got low at all.

Those spikes-to-drops are gone, thank goodness, but it'll take some attention if this means I have no appetite for most of the day! I could always eat a candy bar, hungry or no, but obviously that won't do, lol.

I could probably eat some nuts. But is this going to be a thing, you think?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but tagging this so maybe someone on my FL sees it and can help.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    yes I believe it does. I have PCOS (but haven't needed meds) but my friends that needed meds lost their apetite considerably.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Reality!

Yeah, I'm on it for PCOS that finally caused BG problems, Manda. Oooh, this will take some planning, then :) I hate eating when I'm not hungry (unless it's sweets!).
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    I ate some nuts, but I'm already trying to recomp :( I know not eating enough doesn't sound like a real problem on a weight loss board, lol. But I want muscles!

Anyone else with experience or opinions would be great! I hope it just wears off as I get used to the new BG levels.
  • SelenaBou
    SelenaBou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on it for PCOS and yes in the beginning it did make me lose my appetite. It took a month or two but it came back. I have been on Metformin for a few years now and would say my appetite is pretty much normal now. Something I have noticed is that I have less sweet cravings now and more salty cravings. Not sure if it is connected or not though.
  • dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on Met for antipsychotic medication weight gain, initially it made me lose my appetite but now a couple of months on my appetite is back but I don't have cravings, it makes me feel satisfied and able to say no. I don't think about food all of the time like I used which is quite refreshing. Since being on the Met I have steadily lost a kilo a week instead of the constant gains.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    Thank y'all so much :) Mine's still not back yet, but I bet it will be, knowing me :D I'm really liking not having the spikes I used to have, and of course BG levels more in the normal range are better for my health.

I didn't crave sweets since taking it until my TOM, so that's a definite improvement! My weight loss is slow because my deficit isn't big, but I was amazed that I lost a couple of pounds since Christmas day and they've stayed off. That's like magic for me :D I'll certainly take it if that keeps up!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I was put on it to help with weight loss because I have a hormonal imbalance that makes it difficult. I find that when taken in conjunction with healthy eating I do lose more (because with the imbalance I can gain even eating 1000-1100 calories per day). That being said, I never found it to affect my appetite.