How often do you weigh in?

Options
Hi, just a quick one - how often do you weigh in? Do you always do it at the same time of day, and if so what time?
Cheers

Replies

• albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning after the toilet and before my first cup of tea, I liked my old scales and had to get new ones which I don't like as when I get on it flashes the weigh up for maybe 1/2 seconds then goes off so cant get an exact reading, maybe i'm doing it wrong.

I have just taken my measurements to start this new diet on Jan 1st, so maybe it fate that I don't 'obsess' on the scales as they do tend to go up and down....and then you feel deflated lol. They did used to say to weigh just once a week, but others seem to weigh quite often.

Hope this helps, regards Sue
  • Charlottecornish
    Charlottecornish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I weigh in every month that way you get a true reading, usually first thing in the morning. Many people weigh in every week, but as I haven't got lots to loose I am doing it slowly. Hope this helps.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Always first thing after bathroom before exercise, drink or food (exercise affects your reading too).

Sometimes I'll weigh every day, sometimes once or twice per week.
  • likleylad
    likleylad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hi i weigh myself once a week , on a sunday morning before i have had anything to eat or drink and after being to the loo, everyone is different but i think once a week is a enough before i used to weigh myself throughout the week and got disheartened as you fluctuate sometimes i would think i was doing better than i actually was :smile:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning because I like the data. The number on the scale is just one progression tracker and I invest no emotional attachment to it. If that number upsets you or gives you more stress than I would say weigh once a week or once a month.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I started out liking the "weigh in weekly so that the daily fluctuations won't bother/distract you" idea, and followed that for the better part of a year. But then someone rightly pointed out that if I record (but refuse to be influenced by) the daily fluctuations, I'll get a better gauge of what's normal *for me* in that regard - and that, what if my weekly weigh in day happens to be on a "higher fluctuation" day one week, then I'll still be getting an inaccurate reading anyway. So I started weighing daily. Then my sleep schedule got highly disrupted compliments of a medication change and I didn't know WHEN I should weigh (I would wake up and have a drink 2-6 times a night, so damn thirsty, so I never really had a chance to have an empty bladder and rested body when I weighed) and I finally gave up - now I weigh whenever I can remember "oh yeah it's been a while and I should check that before my coffee!" Which works out to about every 10 days or so. Upshot being, I don't think it really matters when or how often you weigh, as long as you're seeing the downward trend you're desiring!
  • Spambo16
    Spambo16 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Like most above, I weigh in first thing in the morning, after the bathroom and before any food/beverage/exercise. I weigh in daily when I can (I travel during the week and my usual hotel doesn't have a scale). I'm with Phrick on understanding the fluctuations - if my weight is "stable", I bounce around in about a three pound range, so more frequent weigh-ins help me keep on top of whether a weight change is just the normal "baseline noise" or if there's a legitimate trend (up or down).
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I weigh in at the same time of day. First thing in the am naked before I shower. And several times a week.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Everyday between 5 and 7 am.
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    Once per month, in the morning.
    I do my measurements every two weeks though.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Every single day second thing in the morning. And if I am home, around 11am. It is the time my weight is lowest. I need to weigh myself everyday to remain accountable.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self first thing in the morning after the bathroom - sometimes I weigh myself once a week
  • klwatts1
    Options
    I weight in every morning after I pee. I use the weekly average to see if I've lost weight.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, after I've gone to the washroom, and naked. I know I will see fluctuations, but I will only record my weight on MFP when I see a loss. Unless its a gain that stays for a bit (like my recent holiday weight gain), I don't keep track of it and just use it as motivation to get a loss again. It has worked for me so far. I've gone the slow and steady way by losing 30 lbs in about 8 months. I feel great :)
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    Every friday morning, like clock work
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I'm planning to weigh in once a month, at least for the next couple of months. I would like to focus on establishing healthy habits. I tend to get discouraged and quit when the scale doesn't reflect what I think it should.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily just as I get up
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    Every morning after a long wizzzzzzz
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    This +1 only way to do it. once a week same time as soon as you wake up after you use the bathroom and bfore you eat or drink anyhting.
    hi i weigh myself once a week , on a sunday morning before i have had anything to eat or drink and after being to the loo, everyone is different but i think once a week is a enough before i used to weigh myself throughout the week and got disheartened as you fluctuate sometimes i would think i was doing better than i actually was :smile:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once every couple months. When I was actively losing weight, I weighed in monthly.