Multi vitamins?

Options
Can anyone recommend a good over-the-counter multi-vitamin? I'm a 35 yr old woman and I've heard that various different things about how if it's not water soluble, it won't do you any good and other things. It's so hard to know what to believe nowadays.

Replies

• shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    I've been taking One a Day Women's Active Mind & Body... definitely was an energy boost for me! I have to take it while eating though... if I don't it makes me a little nauseous for about a half hour...
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I heard that just because you consume it, it doesn't mean you absorb it. For example, some nutrients can't really be absorbed together (I think fiber and calcium are like this.) However, I take Women's One-a-Day, because I figure it can only help, right? I mean, it gives me iron, and I have trouble getting that because I'm a vegetarian, so it's good for me.
  • JulieScott
    Options
    I take One a Day women active metabolism and i Love it!
  • decemberg
    Options
    DO NOT TAKE CENTRUM OR ONE A DAY!!! They are a bad synthetic vitamin that does not break down in your body correctly. They have actually taken x-rays of people who use them on a regular basis and seen the pills in their stomach. My nutritionist recommended me take Raw One by Vitamin Code - For Women. I purchased mine at Whole Foods but they are available at many GNC, Vitamin World, etc. Make sure you take a NATURAL multi-vitamin :o)
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports seemed to like Kirkland brand from Costco. Many of the supplements out there are not actually tested to see if they actually work.
  • shelly_lee2000
    shelly_lee2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only take vitiamin b-12 because I am a vegetarian and I am vitiamin b-12 deficiant. I eat alot of fruits and veggies so i don't worry about the other vitiamins as much.
  • ladybuglola
    ladybuglola Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time swallowing the horse-pills that are vitamins so i take the gummie ones that are made by One a Day. There are several brands that make the gummie vitamins for adults. They taste great so they are easy to remember to take.
  • Keltraylor
    Options
    I take Nutrilite Double X vitamins and LOVE them. You can go to www.NutriliteHealth.com to read about them.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I order my vitamins from Puritan.com, they have vitamins for men, women, children, teens and vegetarians. So I take the womens one a day multi vitamin, and an additional calcium w/ with vitamin D and salmon omega 3, because the multi vitamins, dont have the full requirements of all we need.

Eating fruits and veggies is great, I eat them alot, but they also dont give you your daily requirement, so the additional vitamins help

Yes, I also heard bad reviews about Centrum as well. I use to take them alot.

Goodluck
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info everyone! I hadn't heard about the bad reports on Centrum and I used to take it. I really appreciate it!
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I take Walmart's brand Equate of Centrum. I cut them in 1/2. I take 1/2 in the morning with 1 Citrical and the other 1/2 and a Citrical at night. You cannot absorb all of it at once, so I take them this way. I'm looking into starting an Omega 3 because I try and try to eat fish, especially salmon, but I just can't handle the taste. I'm also thinking about adding a low dose asprin as well. If you have any suggestions about fish or fish oil supplements, I'd love to hear them!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I heard that just because you consume it, it doesn't mean you absorb it. For example, some nutrients can't really be absorbed together (I think fiber and calcium are like this.) However, I take Women's One-a-Day, because I figure it can only help, right? I mean, it gives me iron, and I have trouble getting that because I'm a vegetarian, so it's good for me.

That is true.............Our bodies don't absorb synthetic vitamins...........

Go for a raw, all natural vitamin.

Any vitamins that you purchase from Wal-Mart, drugstores, grocery, even GNC are going to basically go in one way and come out the other and never be absorbed. They are synthetic and worthless.

I personally use these:

http://www.healthnaturale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=613&osCsid=wzdrfucvbwdp

Here are some other raw vitamins that I have used in the past............

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Women-vegan-capsules/dp/B002IRXMN0
  • FitRosie
    FitRosie Posts: 13
    Options
    When I remember I take the Costco Kirkland mutlivitamin.
    Based on the suggestions though I might look for a raw alternative the next time I buy vitamins.
  • lauralynette
    Options
    I try to get most vitamins from my diet, but I still take a multi (target brand for now), but I split in two take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 at night to up the absorption rate. If there is a health food store around you that has a nutritionist on staff or you can talk to a pharmacist.