Food Scale Question!

Options
Hello! I want to buy a food scale. I hate looking through the Foods section and seeing grams, then having to estimate (which I probably under estimate). If I am going to be serious about this then I need to get on top of things like this.

SO!

Do the cheap food scales (10-15$) work just as well as the more expensive ones (30+).

Thanks everyone. =)

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I bought mine a few years ago for $20 its a digital kitchen scale and it reads weight in grams, ounces, kilograms and pounds. I love it and use it everyday.

I like the fact that you can change the unit of weight that way I can match it to the databases easier on here when logging in foods.
  • deeksha_s
    deeksha_s Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is quite cheap. 300 Rs (6$). I've been using it for a year now and I'm quite happy about it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Cheap is fine. Just make sure you have a tare/zero-out button and the option for grams and ounces.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I think mine was like $20...you need a zero out button and options for both grams and ounces...other than that, it's pretty much just a scale.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Cheap is fine. Just make sure you have a tare/zero-out button and the option for grams and ounces.

This! As long as it has these features you should be good!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Cheap works *great*. I got this one, has been perfect:
    http://tinyurl.com/lg4qboe

Currently at Amazon for $16 and change...
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap analog one that I love (~$10.00). A scale is an incredibly simple mechanism, you don't need to spend a lot on them. As long as you can zero out and it seems accurate, that's all you need! Test the accuracy when you get it home by putting something on it which you know the exact weight of. Most of these things are returnable but I've never had a problem.
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello! I want to buy a food scale. I hate looking through the Foods section and seeing grams, then having to estimate (which I probably under estimate). If I am going to be serious about this then I need to get on top of things like this.

SO!

Do the cheap food scales (10-15$) work just as well as the more expensive ones (30+).

Thanks everyone. =)

Just as an FYI. It's usually 28 grams to an oz. Simple math then.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I got mine for $10 about 6 years ago. It's been through 7 or 8 moves, spent a lot of time cooped up in a box in a garage, and it still works perfectly! As long as it's digital (I had an analog one at first and it sucked), has tare, and g/oz options, you're good to go!

Mine actually has a whole mess of features that I've never even touched, like pre-programmed codes for foods so it'll tell you the nutrition info and everything. I lost the manual a long time ago, though, haha.
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I got a 20-30$ one that is digital and I've been happy with it. I'd recommend finding a digital one that does both grams and ounces and especially one that has a tare feature. Put on a heavy plate, tare (basically reset the scale to zero), weigh out next item you need and keep going hitting tare after each. It's probably standard but something I really like having.