I hate scales - need help

Options
Ok - so I have a new scale and it has not been very accurate for me. My old scale was usually very consistent - but this scale can fluctuate several pounds depending on floor placement. I have a tiled bathroom floor, and the scale sits up on 4 pads. I am starting to think that the grout lines are making the difference. If the scale is placed in a position where the pads aren't perfectly placed on tile - I think it is throwing off the weight.

So - I tried the scale on the laminate dining room floor. Then I tried it on the unfinished concrete basement floor. Each gave me a different reading, although the dining room and basement were within a pound.

Which should I use?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Scales.. blah.. Whatever you use make sure that is what you use from now on.. its just a number how you look and feel is more important.

So if you weigh yourself on a tile floor, leave the scale where it is and just use the first number as a base starting point and start recording your weight at the same time of the day on the same scale and the same position.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As long as it's consistently in the same spot it shouldn't make a huge difference. If you REALLY want to know how accurate it is, take a 5 (or 10, etc etc) lb weight and put it on the scale. See which one comes closest.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Find a spot that works and outline the scale with some tape on the floor.

Why do my can openers keep wearing out, it seems like I keep having to buy a new one?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Which should I use?
    A tape measure. :smile: The scale will mess with your head anyway, even if it is accurately showing your weight - natural fluctuations can drive ya nuts.

The tape measure is a more accurate way to see progress. Take photos now so you have something to compare to as well. And pay attention to how your clothes are fitting.

When you measure, take notes as to where to had the tape, example - at hip bones, or across belly button, etc, so you can do better at getting the tape in the same spot each time.
  • kinzieplatt
    kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty particular about my scales. If it gives me different readings I automatically return it back to the store. I use the same scale everytime, and weigh in once or twice a week. Luckily, I work in a school and utilize the nurses office scale to weigh myself :laugh:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Which should I use?
    A tape measure. :smile: The scale will mess with your head anyway, even if it is accurately showing your weight - natural fluctuations can drive ya nuts.

The tape measure is a more accurate way to see progress. Take photos now so you have something to compare to as well. And pay attention to how your clothes are fitting.

When you measure, take notes as to where to had the tape, example - at hip bones, or across belly button, etc, so you can do better at getting the tape in the same spot each time.

Can’t argue with that bicep. =)
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As long as it's consistently in the same spot it shouldn't make a huge difference. If you REALLY want to know how accurate it is, take a 5 (or 10, etc etc) lb weight and put it on the scale. See which one comes closest.

Great idea! Bummed I didn't even think to do this earlier. So - bathroom tile with 10 pound weight register anywhere from 8.2 to 15 pounds! Guess that answers that, the bathroom floor and tile are completely unlevel and unreliable.

Dining room registered 10.2 - Basement registered 10.0. Basement it is! Thanks.

And I do use tape measures, because I typically will see the inches lost and my weight fluctuates. I just wanted to know why my new scale was giving me fits.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

AOL
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My scale does the same, and pretty much every scale I have ever owned has done the same. An uneven floor will yield different results in different places - as will standing differently. I just try to keep things as uniform as possible. I remember where I place the scale and do so each time. I sometimes take 3 readings and roughly average them.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Which should I use?

Ditch the scale. It is not dependable. Do ^^^this^^^ instead