Blister RX

Jillid71
Jillid71 Posts: 38 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all! I need some help with blisters- specifically on the back of my foot/ankle. I had a small one on my right ankle from running earlier this week. I put a band aid on it this morning before I did a 6 mile walk, but when I sweat the bandaid came right off. I must have compensated during the walk to favor that part of the foot, and an even bigger blister popped up this morning.

I don't want to disrupt my running and walking schedule- any advice on how to protect this area as I continue my workouts?

Thanks in advance for help! I am supposed to do 18 miles of walking with a friend on Sunday, and I don't want to jeopardize this if I can help it.

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    firstly i understand your pain...i used to get blisters all the time when i first started training for my half marathon...then i went to a running store and got the right kind of socks and sneakers for my feet.....the socks were the biggest problem...i was wearing regular cotton low socks and they were rubbing the *kitten* out of my heals every time i would run/walk...it was awfullllllllllllllllll.....
    so firstly i would make sure you have the right socks....once i got the right shoes and socks i have not ever had another blister again in almost a year ( i had them every week at least one or two at a time)
    when i had the realllly bad ones this is what I did...if the blister is bad, i drained it with a sterile pin/needle....once the fluid is out let it dry as much as you can before covering it with a bandaid....the quicker it dries the quicker the skin heals....be careful cause if you keep blistering the same area because you dont let it heal you could get an infection from the tearing skin....

give it a day or two with noooo rubbing after draining it and it should be good as new with to get going again on your training....
    good luck...
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Yeah, band-aid makes a blister specific bandaid. I just dealt with some nice ones that way, and didn't have to compensate. A good anti-blister sock is also advisable. I recently picked up compression socks, which helps with blisters.
  • Jillid71
    Jillid71 Posts: 38 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice! I will have to check out some nice running socks! I do use the low cotton, so that may be it!! i also did some research, and duct tape applied before the run is supposed to be good too!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice! I will have to check out some nice running socks! I do use the low cotton, so that may be it!! i also did some research, and duct tape applied before the run is supposed to be good too!!
    But NOT ON the blister - YEOUCH!!!!:sad: :sick: :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.