Hr monitor, treadmill, or MP calorie calculations

Options
Hello, I received a heart rate monitor for christmas and used it for the first time today. I was shocked by how many calories it said I burned. I ran at 5mph for 48 minutes (12 minute mile so 4miles) the heart rate monitor said that I burned 960 calories, the MP calorie counter said I should of burned 512 and the treadmill itself said 650. I am totaly confused. Whenever I read what running usually burns the articles say an average of 100 calories per mile (at 150lbs, I weigh 175) so that would mean around 400 or so. I don't want to add too many calories and not lose weight by eating back too many calories. Please advise.

Replies

• Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, everything said something different and varied greatly. Most of the time I use an average of the different numbers and and create my own exercise in MFP for them. When I am strictly running or cycling I will just use my HRM though. I also don't eat back much of my burned calories so if I am out it will not affect me, it's good to be consistent with what you use. Hope that didn't muddy things further for you.