My dirty little secret

Options
Hi, see above, I have one. I weight myself DAILY, sometimes 4 times a day. I know you're not supposed to, I know, I know, I know, I know it's all about how your clothes for and blah blah blah. For me I want to see that scale go down. And when it doesn't I literally give my scale the finger. Like it's really offended, I'm sure. Does anyone else do this? Or did it and stopped? Any advice? I'm trying. I'm only 5'2. I should only be 120 approximately, I'm so not even close to that number, like it's not even in my line of sight right now. Thank you :)

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I use to weight daily...but just once. You are doing nothing but making yourself crazy!! Put the scale away. Seriously. Have your husband/boyfriend/roommate/neighbor/girlfriend....SOMEONE hide the damn thing!!

You only need it once a week. You'll make yourself nuts and constantly feel defeated.
  • missmissica
    missmissica Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i actually do weigh myself every morning, and sometimes when i get home too. i really do want to see my hard work pay off and when it does it helps encourage me to keep going. and yes, the the flip side I get mad at the scale when it doesnt do what i want. I'm actually trying to focus more on measurements (which i know is what everyone says we should do) but i totally check the weight everyday!
  • murray2104
    Options
    LOL no you're not the only one. I'm not 4x's a day but I do it daily, I personally don't think it's a problem as long as I understand what's going on and don't let it discourage me. I'm a numbers guy, always have been.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've kicked my scale before... a couple of times (ok, maybe more than just a couple of times)... :grumble: :laugh:
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning when I get up, just keeps me aware.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I did this the first time I lost weight, and it didn't help me... it only lead to anxiety attacks and discouragement, and sometimes depression/guilt eating. Now I only check my weight once or twice a week, at the gym, or generally away from my home. I have a scale, but it stays in the closet for the most part.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but I only record it on my official weigh in day. Daily weight fluctuates and I had to come to terms with that. I don't give my scale the finger but I do kick the **** out of it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Nope, lol. I weigh myself when I go to my momma's house, or when I see the doctor (every 3 months)
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    There is no supposed to. Exploit every tool at your disposal in any way that helps you meet your goals.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Use this instead of a scale.

11884618-cinta-metrica-de-sastre-para-disenar.jpg
  • InkedMommy2013
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've tried to not do it, I've tried the measuring, which also makes me it the finger ;). Sigh~ thank you for letting me know I'm not alone.
  • jrapkine
    jrapkine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weight myself DAILY

I do too...but only once a day, right when I wake up in the AM for consistency. I track every morning weigh in on a spreadsheet/graph and I'm okay when some days are up and some are down....overall I have a downward trend of about 6lb a month. When it goes up, as long as I'm being honest with my food logging I know that it will bounce back down.

If you want to weigh yourself daily, maybe try charting it....you wont be so angry at your scale when you are looking at the bigger picture (that is, of course, if you are eating the proper caloric deficit)!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    thread title delivers...

...thread doesn't. :frown:

disappointed-cat-is-disappoint-23393-1252295716-93.jpg
  • BePawsitive
    BePawsitive Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lets see.... I ....
    ~ called it sh**
    ~ called it a liar
    ~ pfft at it
    ~ even threw the old one out and bought a new one..
    ~ jumped on it three times to see if it was telling me the same thing.
    ~ pushed it against a wall (well a little swift kick)

and the best one....
    ~ danced around it when I saw something I liked!

*Confession is out* *Feels better now*
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I was doing this and it hurt me more than it helped me. I started weighing every 3 weeks and my oh my what a difference that made.

I recommend that people put their scale in the trunk of their car (if possible) and keep it there, hiding it at home just means you have to take a few extra minutes to find it and get it out. If you do have a SO or roommate, as suggested, have them put it away for you only getting it out on a pre determined amount of time.

Seriously, put it away.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everymorning but I try to only make once a week an official weigh in. When I was in my best shape about 12 years ago I was quite the lunatic. I would weigh m yself before bed and get mad if I hadnt lost and then I would work out. Sometimes this happened at midnight! My workouts and diet ended up controlling me. Now I am trying to find the perfect balance.
  • Tesuh10
    Options
    I weigh myself every time I go into the bathroom because the scale is there. I get very upset when I see it go up in an hour time period. If anything, I get more frustrated by doing it but I also am aware of what I am eating when I do it. I lack self-control when it comes to food and I overindulge many times. Having a scale in the bathroom to see whenever I walk by lets me think before I eat.
  • nyhockeyguy
    nyhockeyguy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday morning after hot yoga; about 10:30am. I eat nothing before hand and have hopefully sweat out a few lbs of water... so far for the past 3 months it works... I feel my thinnest at that time and I have mostly lost each week. I eat at a deficit and try to do a lot of protein and fruits/veggies, but I am not a Ratio eater, nor a Clean eater. I do like sugar and sweets...I think each day is a mistake, but only if you struggle with it. If you are ok with it, good, but if not, you are setting yourself up for failure, and this is hard enough without self-destructing with behavior that is negative.. so, my advice (take it or leave it) is change your behavior, OR, be ok with it...to each his (or her) own....
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yup- i am on and off my scale a zillion times per day but on a good note - I keep my scale upstairs and I have to go up 13 steps to get to it so I am getting some exercise - Plus I take off my clothes to weigh each time !! LOLOLOL I just can`t help it - it surely not making the scale move down any faster but I like to see how I react to what I eat ..like when I eat salty foods ..etc etc.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I've kicked my scale before... a couple of times (ok, maybe more than just a couple of times)... :grumble: :laugh:

I kick my scale every time I use it. It's how I turn it on.

Seriously, there are so many things that make your weight fluctuate throughout the day, that there is no point in weighing yourself more than once. If you want to follow a weight trend, weigh yourself consitently at the same time under the same conditions. Track the trend. Realize also, that this is going to be up and down on a daily basis. You are looking for long term trends.

That being said, I recommend that you don't put a lot of stock in weight trends. There are much better measures of success in your transformation. I recommend tracking your other body measurements (Waist, hip, thigh, arm, neck circumferences).