Eat before or after workout?

Options
I am in the habit of working out early in the morning (around 5 am) and wondered if it would be better to eat before I go or after? Same question for afternoon workouts. Usually the morning workout is swimming (or some other cardio) and the afternoon workouts are usually strength training. (FYI, I only go either in the morning, OR the afternoon; never both). Thanks for the help!

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I think its about preference. If I work out in the morning, I will usually not eat anything or have something really small. When I go in the evening, I have already ate dinner.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't really eat 90 minutes before a strenuous workout. Also, consider waiting 30-45 after working out to eat anything solid. - So the blood can recirculate away from your muscle.

If it's a light workout, do whatever.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    In the morning I usually always eat after my workout. Although there have been times when I feel like my blood sugar might be low and I'll have an apple or small amount of OJ.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel. If you feel like you have the energy to do your morning workout before eating then go for it! For me it depends on what I'm doing or how long I go. For instance, I could probably go for a short walk or even run fasted, meaning a half hour max, but that's about my limit. Anything longer or more intense and I'd get all shaky and feel icky.

As far as afternoon workouts, you wouldn't be completely fasted. As long as you've eaten a good balance of protein and carbs within an hour or two, you should be fine. Just be careful with eating too close to workout as you could feel sick with undigested food in your stomach.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Those are helpful suggestions. Minnie: I see your point. I did 45 minutes of cardio yesterday fasted and felt like crap. Today I only did about 30 and felt better. I wonder what would be a good thing to eat before I go in the morning (usually swimming). I hate yogurt and can't eat PB that early in the morning (stupid acid reflux).
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think about it like this: I have just slept for 8 hours (no eating involved) and I usually have a snack around 8 or 9. So if I get up at 7 and the last time I ate was 9 the night before, that is 10 hours of no fuel on the fire. I usually eat something that is easy to digest if i am going to work out in the morning like yogurt and fruit or cheerios and fruit. I also force myself to get up and eat as soon as the alarm goes off. That way by the time I get dressed and get to the gym, it has been long enough that I won't cramp up. Also having a similar small meal immediately after the workout helps keep the stomach in check.

edit: about the yogurt: If you don't like yogurt try cottage cheese and peaches and maybe a slice of toast.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is all personal discoveries and not scientifically proven- I don't like working out on a full stomach so usually I do not eat beforehand. On days when I do roll out of bed and head for the gym I do better if I eat a little bit beforehand though. I usually just eat a banana and thats it. Gives me a little energy boost and is light. Most you will just have to play around with it and figure out what works best for you. Best of luck!
  • mjoshua87
    Options
    A fitness instructor at my gym told us that if your doing cardio you don't need to eat but you can before your workout but wait atleast 60mins. but if your doing weight training you should eat because it's a different fuel source and your muscles need it. She's ripped so I believe her :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't eat beforehand, but I do have a coffee with gelatin (protein) and coconut oil blended through.

I usually train at night, so figure I have something in the tank from earlier in the day. I eat dinner when I get home, within an hour of finishing and I eat the majority of my carbs at this meal. If/when I train in the morning I figure I've got plenty in the stores from the night before. I feel slow if I eat carbs beforehand and don't think eating them helps my performance at all.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    On my cut I was doing Intermittent Fasting and would literally never eat before the gym, just a cup of espresso, and then when I got back I sometimes wouldn't eat until hours after. The importance of eating RIGHT BEFORE or RIGHT AFTER a workout is tremendously overstated, your body isn't some ramshackle creature that will refuse to grow muscle or lose weight unless it's under the perfect conditions. Whatever "fuel" you need for the gym has been stockpiling in your body since the day before when you last ate, or even the day before that, your body doesn't immediately digest and use up whatever you put into it after a couple hours, that's partially where that ridiculous "You must eat five or six meals a day spaced out every two or three hours" nonsense came from.

Just do whatever you prefer. I always felt like I had more energy working out on an empty stomach anyway.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    The importance of eating RIGHT BEFORE or RIGHT AFTER a workout is tremendously overstated, your body isn't some ramshackle creature that will refuse to grow muscle or lose weight unless it's under the perfect conditions. Whatever "fuel" you need for the gym has been stockpiling in your body since the day before when you last ate, or even the day before that, your body doesn't immediately digest and use up whatever you put into it after a couple hours, that's partially where that ridiculous "You must eat five or six meals a day spaced out every two or three hours" nonsense came from.

Just do whatever you prefer. I always felt like I had more energy working out on an empty stomach anyway.
    ^this^
    Hit your daily macro goals, when/however you like.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I read a study in Prevention Magazine that said you burn more calories if you work out before you eat breakfast. I also will go to the gym on coffee alone and feel not at all ravenous for food after, even after a vigorous workout. I eat when I'm hungry and not based on speculation of when my body will need energy.
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to do an early morning bootcamp and couldn't make myself eat anything at 5am, but I always made sure to drink a glass of water before doing anything. and then ate something immediately afterwards (the trainers were very insistent that we get some fuel to our muscles as soon as we finished exercising). In the car driving home I'd have a banana or granola bar to nosh on the way home, then some protein as soon as I got home. I lost 30 lbs back when I was doing that! But it's been several years since I moved and I have gained it all back, I wish I could find another morning bootcamp class. :(
  • jesmith86
    Options
    I workout in the mornings too, I generally have some sort of blended liquid (smoothie or powdered shake) before I go, as well as a preworkout (I get the shakes if I don't eat before hitting the gym) then once I'm finished I have a protein smoothie with fruit, chia seeds and flax seeds. So I personally do both, but that's just what works for me. If I don't eat, I don't perform as well as I would like.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    2475415-0532372570-tumbl.gif
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would say both. The harder the workout, the more necessary it will be to have fuel before and after. Maybe a snack before and a snack after? Do what gives you the most energy and best feeling, so long as it fits in your calorie goal.
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that if you eat after your workout, you'll burn more calories. Also, if you eat before your workout, you won't get the best workout because your body is trying to digest your food.

Has anyone else heard that?