yoga and running

Options
I just took my first yoga class. I didn't understand much of what the leader (yogi?) was saying, of course, but it was a great stretch and I have promised myself I would give it a try once a week for a few months as a supplement to my running.

Runners: if you also do yoga, how often do you do it? Do you run the same day you take a yoga class? What effects have you seen - positive, negative? How do you ensure it doesn't cut into your weekly mileage goals?

I'd love your thoughts.

Namaste. ;)

Replies

• celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have done both for years..although I was running before yoga. After I began yoga my pace increased. It was incredible at how much I found yoga to enhance all of my other activities. Specifically running but also cycling and even swimming. After a couple of weeks of yoga, I found myself craving it more than running. Crazy. The best part of Yoga is that there are several types - I recommend doing a class such as you have started first. Then if you want you can start your home routine. Classwork is always great because they will instruct you on form and breathing. I do yoga almost daily - even if it's only for 20 minutes. It's worth it. I run 3-5 x /week.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    wow - that's a success story - just what I want to hear, thanks! It's way out of the box for me, but I can tell it's something that will be good for me. I hope to do it once a week for a while and see how it goes. I might be sore tomorrow. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would always try to get to yoga class the day after my long runs. It was a great way to stretch & loosen up. Yoga and running are the perfect compliment to each other.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You also may want to try some different instructors and classes. Some are better at describing and demonstrating the poses than others ... You may also want to let them know that you're new to yoga before class so that they can keep a closer eye on your form through the class. I started yoga about two years ago and love it.

My running (mileage and pace) has improved as well as I've gotten in better shape overall. Yoga has kept me "stretchy" even with the running.
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Giam (sp?)has a great beginners dvd. It includes two separate routines plus an instructional video on poses. When you select the workout you want, you can choose to have the instructional voice over or not. It is a great 20 minute way to get ready for the day or rejuvenate at the end of the day.

I find I have fewer issues with my IT band if I practice yoga. I try to do yoga on my non running days.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yoga and running really go well together. I see no harm in doing them both the same or on alternate days. Actually I think yoga would be wonderful before or after a run. I dont think I'd do Bikram yoga (hot Yoga) after a run though, but that's just me.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Like peas and carrots!

I do a 90 min class once a week and add some moves to my extended stretch after my long run.

I was doing yoga before running but not consistently, and I found running really tightened me up so it's the perfect antidote really.

You really can't beat going to a class for proper instruction (injury-prevention) and to make sure you progress with your poses. But you may want to check out Rodney Yee's DVD, Yoga for Athletes. It has a couple of long workouts and some 10 minute, sport-specific routines that are perfect for in-between classes.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I go to hot yoga twice a week on my non-running days. Although that's more of a matter of scheduling; I think running in the morning and going to yoga later in the day would be great.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    whoa ... day after first yoga and SORE! lol ... I think that's a good thing. And, btw, I ended up running yesterday afternoon ... #addicted