Keto Diet vs. CKD Questions

Options
Hello everyone!
Si I started the Keto Diet on Jan 1st and its going very well for the past few days. But now Im reading about the CKD which is practically the same, but you get a cheat day out of it. Ive read every forum there is on google, so Im looking to see if anyone is on the Keto or CKD and how I should approach a carb up day on the weekends. I plan on starting with cardio, then sneaking in some workouts. Im no stranger to the gym at all...Im 240 and can bench a Buick..but Im looking to slim down fast and get healthy - goal weight of 200. Im keeping my fat high. moderate protein and carbs around 20 or less per day.....or 70/25/5 macro. Any help would eb much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    From my understanding CKD should only be incorporated once you are Keto adapted. That usually means 4 to 6 weeks of Keto for most people. Check out Ketogains on Reddit, there is a lot of helpful information on CKD.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider checking out and join these keto forums on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1511-reddit-keto
  • guitarguy310
    guitarguy310 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much!
  • kdiazzi
    kdiazzi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a power lifter and have been on a strict Keto diet since Dec. i just started doing CKD and this is my first day of carb loading. Im scared!! lol but I lost weight on straingt Keto but my lifts suffered. Going to try this!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It works pretty damn good. I did it last year for 6 weeks and I just started doing another round (for dropping some weight).

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=36497

It's a real PITA to keep track of everything, but it's gotta be done if you're going to go on this diet. When I last did it I dropped 5 lbs and kept increasing my strength on a weekly basis (nothing dramatic, but I definitely wasn't stalled). I also had 2 days of fasting during the 7 day week. 3 workouts a week (full body). 2 of them were low volume workouts, the 3rd was the depletion workout.

Since my weekend is usually tuesdays and wednesdays this is what my schedule looked like:
    Tuesday would be a 2 hour depletion workout, full body, lots of sets (lots of machine work) with higher reps and 30 minutes of rowing.
    Carb up after that workout (usually bring a pack of low fat poptarts with me or 16 oz bottle of iced tea I made at home). Then every few hours I'd eat while minimizing as much fast as I could and eating about half to a third of the amount of protein I usually consume.
    Wednesday I would eat half the amount of carbs I ate on tuesday with a lot more protein (It was about 500-600g carbs tuesday and half that wednesday).

Thursday was the serious workout. 5 sets per compound lift and some isolation exercises @ 6-10 reps. Back on low carb.
    Friday I fasted the entire day. Just had coffee/matcha green tea and about 6g of fish oil. I would sometimes walk for an hour on the treadmill @ 3mph 0% incline.
    Saturday eat (again low carb), but since I fasted fridays I would consume an extra 50% in calories.
    Sunday was my 2nd "big" workout although the volume gets dropped to 3 sets per compound and I generally didn't do isolation work. I try to stick to a 3-6 rep range. I would eat @ maintenance this day.
    Depending on how I felt from thursdays workout, I sometimes switch what I do on Saturdays and Sundays.
    Monday was my 2nd fast.
    Then tuesday morning back to the depletion workout. Before the workout I would have a couple of pieces of fruit.

If you have an active social life this is not the diet for you. Friends will hate you. But you'll look good :p

You just have to be real careful of overdoing it on carb ups. The formula is something like 10g/kg of fat free mass on the first day and about half that the second day.
    You'd want to avoid eating too much fruit or fructose those days too, as I believe once the liver is full of glycogen the fructose might get stored as fat on the liver (not too sure). Low fat cookies, tortilla chips, french toast, pancakes and syrup, low fat cakes, pizza, low fat donuts are all good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I am a power lifter and have been on a strict Keto diet since Dec. i just started doing CKD and this is my first day of carb loading. Im scared!! lol but I lost weight on straingt Keto but my lifts suffered. Going to try this!
    It'll help for sure.