2 months of plateau - where might I be going wrong?!

Options
Hello everyone!

I've been stuck at the same weight for the past 2 months now, after 2 really successful months of "results".

I haven't been eating crazily low amounts of cals (although it sometimes feels like it for me!) in that I aim for 1550/day. I have a balanced diet (at least I think so) with a good mix of fresh produce, home-cooked stuff, wholegrains... and also the occasional meal out or alcoholic beverage. I limit myself to 1 or 2 cups of coffee/tea a day.

I lead a pretty active life, as you do when you have to deal with 2 children under 3, walk whenever possible, but don't (yet) go to the gym - I need to get my pelvis happy before I can put it under any strain again!

Anyhow, so... I just don't know. I'm down to the weight I was for years and years (before having children) - 154lbs - , so could my body just be happy that way? I'm only looking to lose a maximum of 4kg now (8lb?).

I've opened my diary up, so if you'd like to take a peek and comment if you see anything that sticks out like a sore thumb that I could tweak. I can't see it... but that's the whole point!

The only things I can think of is either "that's it" or "get to the gym"...

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    hahah im not sure but awesome cat
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    I was there for over 2 months also I was frustrated on a daily basis. Then I started doing 1350 cals every other day and 1350+burned cals the other days and changed up my whole workout routine (found a elliptical on craigslist.com) and that did it. Although after a month without a plateau I think I have hit another! YUCK! Good luck hope this helps!
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this but my questions would be:

1. Are you carefully measuring your calorie intake? I think as you get close to your goal a few hundred calories either way can make the difference between losing and not losing.

2. Exercise seems to be a big thing for me. I burn between 6000-7000 calories a week in the gym. I think things like elliptical trainers are low impact and you may be able to do them.

3. Drink plenty of water. I read that this helps.

4. Drink a cup of coffee or other caffeine beverage in the morning....supposed to jump start your metabolism.

Hope some of those ideas help! Keep up the good work!!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not showing up as public, so we cannot see what you are eating.
  • billybed
    billybed Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you reset your goals,

MFP does not recalculate your dietary calorie needs as you lose weight. You need to go into the goals section and update it then see what the calories you should be eating are...

I just had to do this after losing 23 pounds and it made me lower my calories...

hope this helps
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to lose weight, but the last few pounds is always the hardest to lose. Instead of a walk, try a jog or run, try adding sit ups, push ups, body weight exercises in to the mix. If you have a set of dumbbells, it opens a whole new window to what you can do at home. I can't see you calorie intake, but make sure you're hitting your calories.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Your journal isn't public.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi , still cant see your diary its not public..and how much is walking when you can is it daily and for how long?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Your diary is still private.

Alcohol could be 1 thing. I was on a 2-month plateau (well, 1 month of no losing at all, 2nd month I didn't lose weight but I lost a tiny bit of inches once I changed some things) and I think a big part is I was drinking at least one drink per week and also undereating. Make sure you're eating the calories you're logging and burning the calories you're logging...meaning... ACCURATE estimates. If you're not using a heart rate monitor, GET one. If you don't have a food scale or aren't measuring your food, start. You'll be surprised at the difference...whether it's not as much as you think you are or are eating too much.
  • lindsmb22
    Options
    Hello,
    It is very common to hit a plateau when your body has become adjusted to your activity level and caloric intake. You need to change it up! Your body may very well be "comfortable" at the weight you are at and if you want to lose more, then you have to push a bit more. I can't see your diary but first, try switching your foods up a little. So many of us eat the same 10 things over and over again. Try some different foods, maybe mix up your protein/carb ratios but still stay within your calories for the day.
    Finally and most important, you HAVE TO EXERCISE! You need cardio to burn calories and you need to build lean muscle to burn calories when you are not at work.
    I hope this helps you. I have plateaued so many times in my life even when sticking to my food/calories very well and it is always that I am not pushing my body to exercise.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm new to this but my questions would be:

1. Are you carefully measuring your calorie intake? I think as you get close to your goal a few hundred calories either way can make the difference between losing and not losing.

2. Exercise seems to be a big thing for me. I burn between 6000-7000 calories a week in the gym. I think things like elliptical trainers are low impact and you may be able to do them.

3. Drink plenty of water. I read that this helps.

4. Drink a cup of coffee or other caffeine beverage in the morning....supposed to jump start your metabolism.

Hope some of those ideas help! Keep up the good work!!!!

when I started out, I realised I was drinking far too much coffee, so I do now only drink one at breakfast (which I always have - apart from the last 2 days for some reason!). I almost certainly don't drink enough water during the day, but I never have done throughout my life, so for me, the 8 glasses is just an unbelievable amount!

I've surprised myself in how careful I am about tracking my calories, and apart from the times I eat out - where I have to find the closest entry on the database) I would say the diary is pretty accurate. I'm always +/- 50 and never over +400 (which would be my maintenance number of cals)

My poor pelvis has a ligament issue, so it's not so much low-impact, but rather it actually doesn't move properly... well, moves a bit too much! You know how you can crack your shoulder-blades when you stretch backwards? My pelvis does that when I walk normally. It's not good, but I'm sorting it out.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hi, Just wanted to say "keep it up" If you have kids and are eating healthy and exercising, you are doing Fantastic. That is an achievement in itself. Don't give up your efforts will show, your just being balanced and it takes a bit more time to get the same results as those who have more time to focus just on themselves. Well done.
  • Mookz0r
    Options
    Your journal isn't public.

sorry! I was "friends only"... I've changed it now.

Be kind! :-D
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you've hit that set point where your body is happy at *at this activity level*... like you said, you're pretty active (ugh, multiple young kids... kudos to you!), but it seems to me like you aren't doing dedicated workouts (with the primary goal of burning calories). I've noticed that a good diet can only go so far in weight loss, but to complete the weight loss journey you need to up the activity level... not necessarily involving running on a treadmill at the gym (fast walking, cycling, and swimming are "low strain" options).

**Edit:
    I had a quick look at your diary (and now I want Dim Sum... :ohwell:). It looks like you might want to try some more veggies--they add fiber and water to your diet and keep you full (sometimes it helps you feel like staying under your calorie goal is easier), and you get lots of vitamins and minerals from them (deficiencies of certain vitamins can make you feel sluggish, which might be sabotaging you a bit).

Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You may need to get closer to maintenance on your calories. Here is a good discussion on it - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good, I just have 3 observations:
    1. Make sure you eat a good breakfast (most days you do eat enough but a few days just coffee, not enough to get you going)
    2. Not enough fruit and veggies Looks like you have between 1 and 4 servings per day (should be 5-7)
    3. Some of your meals are quite large and take up 50% of your calories for the day (try to stay under 500 or so calories per meal and add in an additional snack instead, it is hard for your body to digest large meals efficiently and I noticed some in the 600-800 range)
  • Mookz0r
    Options
    **Edit:
    I had a quick look at your diary (and now I want Dim Sum... :ohwell:). It looks like you might want to try some more veggies--they add fiber and water to your diet and keep you full (sometimes it helps you feel like staying under your calorie goal is easier), and you get lots of vitamins and minerals from them (deficiencies of certain vitamins can make you feel sluggish, which might be sabotaging you a bit).

Good luck!

yup - today was eating out for lunch... and I have been rather lax on the veg, thinking about it, for the past few weeks. Right - more veg, fewer processed carbs.

I actually can't wait to be able to get down the gym too - never thought I'd say that! I think it may be the only way forward really... and if it has no effect, I'll be back on the Board!

Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful responses. Funny how opening your food diary is actually quite a private, personal thing. It feels really strange that people I've never met can see exactly what I've been eating.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to this site and finally taking control of my weight loss journey-3rd week in. I checked out your food diary but didn't see anything that really stood out.How is your water intake?? Studies are now showing that drinking the recommended 8 cups (at least) of water helps you to lose weight,along with healthy eating and at least 30 minutes of exercise 3x a week.Sorry I can't be more helpful :( Hope this helps you and good luck on your weight loss journey!:happy:
  • jllattimer
    Options
    I know you say 80 oz of water is a lot for you, but it really is a must. The water helps flush the toxins out of your system in turn helping you lose weight. You will get used to it as you drink more. A good tip too is to drink two glasses (20 oz.) with every meal it will help you feel fuller and more satisfied.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! I have no idea of your height, age, weight, but you seem to be allowed too many calories for someone with only 8lbs to go?? I'm new here, so no idea that MFP didnt adjust to suit. But I do know, that as you get slimmer, you require less calories to function.

Secondly, your calories seem a bit off to me. EG green & blacks white chocolate is 573 cals for 100g, but you have an entry where you've eaten 40g and only given it 10??? Same for 40g of sugar?? I always thought a tsp of refined sugar was 25 cals?? Perhaps you need to re-check your entries?

Thirdly, water is very important to get things flowing in your body, particularly to flush out those fat particles!! :bigsmile: As is exercise.

So, yeah, I think you were right. Eat less, exercise more.

But congratulations with only 8lbs to go!!!!!! :flowerforyou: That's just awesome!!! If it were me would probably give up at that point :laugh:

Good luck!