What motivates you?

Options
hi, I'm 3 days in, So its still a novelty.. but how do you keep yourself motived? what tricks/ techniques get you into a positive frame of mind?

Replies

• indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My Why's....my reasons. My reasons were the things that has gotten me 1.5 pounds away from my goal.
  • AKGuidroz7
    AKGuidroz7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of these sucess stories and tell myself if they can do it I can too! And also I look at the section in my closet of all my cute cloths I USED to be able to fit into and say "I will wear you again one day"...lol Keep it up...4 years ago I made a huge lifestyle change and lost 65 pounds...then I got pregnant 2 years ago and it seems a bit harder to get things going again...so here I go!
  • autumnwater
    autumnwater Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is feeling like I am in control of my life, rather than having laziness and carb addiction control me
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well honestly my motivation came from inside. i realized that loving myself (which i finally started to do) meant taking care of myself. I havent looked back since. self love is all the motivation i need. However as I begin to be sexier than Ive ever been, my newest motivation is to get as sexy as I can so i can drop more panties. Just keepin it real.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    what motivates me? Everyone else :)
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my story exactly. Trying it again! Here we go...
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My kids for one
    but another is pure vanity. I want to look good, I want not only for me to think i look good but for other people to think i look damn good.
    Plus I love clothes and hate when I can't fit into the nicer ones.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Less weight on my body means more weight on the bar.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Feeling the need to have some control over something in my life that only I can control the variables, etc.

Wanting to look ooohhhhh sooooo good! Vanity reasons are number one.

My pals on here. Wouldn't know what I would do without y'all. Great people. Seeing them progress, and encouragement given and received makes me have to keep going. Even when I do not want to. Kind of feel obligated. lol
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's all habit, not motivation.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yep.

After a while, you'll find it's just your life. Wednesdays and Fridays, I lift weights after work. That's set in stone, it's just what I do. I don't need to psych myself up or motivate myself, I just do it and go home. Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday I run. That's just the way it is.

Now, what motivates me to keep running when I'm 4 miles from home? A piece of pie. Not even joking.
  • Gordo1981
    Gordo1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    An interesting Motivator that I have been using more recently is discussed on Lifehacker http://lifehacker.com/281626/jerry-seinfelds-productivity-secret

The thing that can help is getting a streak of successes behind you to keep you motivated to keep it up. It is a lot easier to keep doing something regularly if you have done it for a while. So the Big X on each calender day is another minor success until you worry about breaking a streak.

Maybe this could help you too?
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Life motivates me. It was get busy living, or get busy dying. I'm busy living. Every new activity I can do that I couldn't do before because I wasn't healthy enough motivates me. I like the way I feel now. I want to feel *better.* I want to be stronger and healthier.

I think I get a lot of motivation from my non-scale related plans---my first sprint triathlon, biking a marathon, repeating the rappelling fundraiser I was able to do last year, and increasing my swim mileage. I know that sticking to my health plans will make me successful in those endeavors.

My friends and family, both on and off MFP help keep me going too. We all motivate and inspire each other.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Pics.... Pics are a huge motivator for me. Nothing is more real than seeing yourself in a photograph.

oh, and a certain person on my FL has REALLY motivated me lately too.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

I cannot wait for it to get to the point for me.

I can tell in my case it will be along time regardless of being on here or not.

I'm just lazy! lol.. Nothing to brag about but the truth. I do not enjoy it. I make myself do it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a myth.

What you are here to do is form habits. Eating habits. Portioning habits. Exercise habits.

There will be a day that you just aren't feeling it and you still want to end up in the gym because that's what you DO. Where you stop at a single cookie because THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. Where you stop tracking for a week or a month and you stay the same weight because it's that automatic.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Saving Money!!!

If I lose weight, better my health and improve my fitness, I can hopefully no longer pay to see Doctors and save the money I would otherwise be spending on medication I will no longer need to be on. This motivates me. As does the desire to prove to myself that I am capable of success once and for all.