Balancing My Day

Options
fitterpam
fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
So I'm aiming for 50:30:20 for my daily ratios of carbs, fats & proteins as recommended by my doctor. I'm finding that I'm consistently above that for carbs (around 60%) and that my fat levels are consistently around 16-20%.

Does anyone have suggestons for introducing low protein, low carb good fats into my diet. I'm not a fan of avocado and I'm working on integrating more nuts into my diet. Also not using pre-bought salad dressings anymore and making them all with olive oil and vinegars.

I still haven't been able to shift it though and am not willing to make bad fat choices to make it up (since the tool doesn't differentiate between good and bad fats). The only truly balanced meal I have found so far is PB on bread. One slice of my brand with two Tbsp of my brand of PB has that perfect ratio of 50:30:20, but it lower in calories that I would like in a meal, it's perfect for a snack though.

I'm also trying to avoid all sugars at my doctor's recommendation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just adding olive oil into your existing food to up the good fat content without affecting carbs or protein. You can add it to shakes, sauces. If you eat egg whites you can switch to whole eggs, same protein more fat. Try drinking a higher % milk fat milk (switch from skim to 1%)
  • FitRosie
    FitRosie Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well. I have a hard time balancing my food. Any suggestions would be great.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just adding olive oil into your existing food to up the good fat content without affecting carbs or protein. You can add it to shakes, sauces. If you eat egg whites you can switch to whole eggs, same protein more fat. Try drinking a higher % milk fat milk (switch from skim to 1%)

The milk thing is such a no brainer - I just didn't even think about it. I don't really drink a lot of milk and what I do drink is 1% (in my coffee and stuff), but I know that if I use cream, I'll use less of it for a better flavour and that will certainly help with upping the fat factor (in my drink, not on my hips....LOL). For dairy, I tend to go with 0% fat yogurt, so maybe the regular would be a better choice for me - I don't think it's significantly more.

I never thought of olive oil in shakes, but I will put it in more sauces. And the egg thing, I already do, but don't eat a whole (get it?) lot of eggs either.

I also have some wiggle room on the calorie side, so I'm sure I can make some of these changes easily. I've been stuck on lean meat and veg meals lately and this could provide some much needed flavour as well as getting me to my calorie goals quicker - so I'm not stuck at 9:00 at night raiding the fridge - I just need 200 more calories for the day but I can't have carbs or sugars or sodium.....LOL

Thanks for the help!