Anyone else out there eating paleo?

Options
I just started eating paleo yesterday and I'm finding it really hard not being able to eat potatoes. Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know who is Paleo eats potatoes. It is grown in the ground............

I don't eat them because I don't like them, but I do eat sweet potatoes, just not other potatoes.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I thought the only potato frowned on was white.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It has only been one day and it's been that hard to not eat potatoes? I thought I ate a lot of potatoes hahah

Oh and I don't eat paleo
  • nicolem021985
    nicolem021985 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've heard they aren't paleo and I've heard they are. I was just trying to give them up just in case they were, but I may treat myself once in a while!
  • fnlamb
    fnlamb Posts: 1
    Options
    It's hard to go cold turkey if you eat something every day but if you are looking to lose weight, its best to limit the white potatoes. My coach/dietician always tells me that a spoon of almond butter or half an avocado can really help with cravings. Don't be afraid of good fats! I have also learned that when I am dying for sweets, hot tea helps. I'm no expert but I have been mostly paleo since May 2013. Thanksgiving to Christmas was rough but I am back on it!
  • JessieCTVT
    Options
    I try to eat paleo and don't eat potatoes. I make a lot of the Paleo Baked goods with Almond flour and it really helps those cravings for starch. Of course the calories in the baked goods are high, so if you over do them it is harder to lose weight.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I've heard they aren't paleo and I've heard they are. I was just trying to give them up just in case they were, but I may treat myself once in a while!

Here is the best Paleo rule that I have ever come across................

Paleo "rules" are written in vegetable juice, not stone. Customize, experiment, discover, be yourself.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you honestly can't go one day without potatoes on this "Paleo" diet, you might want to rethink if you can actually do this in the long-term... try finding a diet (read as the foods you normally eat, not a weight-loss style diet) that you can sustain in the long-term that doesn't place unnecessary restrictions on certain foods. Any food in moderation will not have much of an impact on overall health, and the psychological impact of cutting entire food groups out will usually leads people to resort back to binge eating or whatever they were trying to avoid with their new diet. Potatoes are a very healthy food and the staple of many people's diets around the world (especially Europe), so consciously making yourself not eat it is probably not a great idea. I am not a Paleo eater, but what I do know is there are many different versions of the Paleo diet, which means each person's interpretation of the diet is perfect for them, and by proxy everybody should eat this way etc. My advice: eat the flippin' potatoes if it fits your lifestyle, budget and health goals/macros!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The real reason (IMHO) potatoes are "banned" from the Paleo diet is because they are very high in carbs (read: calories) and you aren't going to lose any weight if you eat them regularly.

There are numerous arguments about whether paleolithic man ever ate starchy roots and tubers, some say you can have yams but not potatoes, etc. I think there is no solid evidence to support either position.

I say, if you want to eat potatoes, then eat the damned potatoes. They aren't going to kill you. If you are counting calories then you'll lose weight regardless of how you define "Paleo".

The diet is popular because the lack of carbs (no grains, no potatoes, no sugar) means most people are eating a caloric deficit, often for the first time in years, and so they drop the pounds. But they aren't counting calories. If you are, bring on the spuds...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    The real reason (IMHO) potatoes are "banned" from the Paleo diet is because they are very high in carbs (read: calories) and you aren't going to lose any weight if you eat them regularly.

There are numerous arguments about whether paleolithic man ever ate starchy roots and tubers, some say you can have yams but not potatoes, etc. I think there is no solid evidence to support either position.

I say, if you want to eat potatoes, then eat the damned potatoes. They aren't going to kill you. If you are counting calories then you'll lose weight regardless of how you define "Paleo".

The diet is popular because the lack of carbs (no grains, no potatoes, no sugar) means most people are eating a caloric deficit, often for the first time in years, and so they drop the pounds. But they aren't counting calories. If you are, bring on the spuds...

As I mentioned, I know a LOT of people eating this way of life and there are no lack of carbs and the majority all eat some type of potatoes.

I don't because I merely do not like potatoes. They are just yuck to me. I don't even like them in the form of potato chips or french fries.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    <---- my avatar is paleo. She eats root vegetables, but probably not potatoes seeing as they came from the Americas and she lived in Europe.

BTW yes there is evidence from the fossil record that palaeolithic people ate roots. Modern hunter-gatherers eat them too. I'm not sure why there's any debate about that.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The real reason (IMHO) potatoes are "banned" from the Paleo diet is because they are very high in carbs (read: calories) and you aren't going to lose any weight if you eat them regularly.<snip>

Eh what? You can eat ANYTHING regularly and lose weight if you are in caloric deficit.
  • guitarguy310
    guitarguy310 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just started eating Keto - Im luckily not have any carb cravings yet, especially being in Ketosis. But man - do I want a beer! Are you doing any "cheat" meals?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I incorporate Paleo philosophy into my overall health plan. Pure Paleo would be an amazing goal...but just remember BABY STEPS.

Eat that potato.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The real reason (IMHO) potatoes are "banned" from the Paleo diet is because they are very high in carbs (read: calories) and you aren't going to lose any weight if you eat them regularly.<snip>

Eh what? You can eat ANYTHING regularly and lose weight if you are in caloric deficit.

What I meant was that one of the selling points of the Paleo diet is that people lose weight without having to count calories. I did the Paleo diet for over a year and the whole point was that you didn't "need" consider calories if you followed the diet, which meant cutting out grains, sugar (a bit of maple syrup or honey was allowed by some), and high calorie carbs like rice, potatoes, and pasta. People like Gary Taubes argued that if you just ate low-carb (and Paleo is low-carb) then you could lose weight and not have to think about calories. But the reason the diet causes people to lose weight is because, by cutting out those high-cal foods, they are eating in a caloric deficit, whether they realize it or not, not because those foods have magical weight-gaining properties.