How many calories do you eat?

Options
For those of you that are trying to lose weight not just maintain how have you determined how many calories to eat? Do you just use the default 1200 cals? Or have you used some other way to come up with a number? I personally have calculated my BMR and TDEE. From there I subtracted about 750 cals which should yield a 2 lb loss per week. It just seems that eating over 1800 cals is too much. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I originally calculated my TDEE from scoobyworkshop.com and went with that for awhile, then adjusted from there. I eat 1550 net. So, some days I eat 1800-2100 depending. I lose about a pound a week. I'm 5'5" ans 125 lbs.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    my goal has been set at 1400 since day one. i just dont think i could restrict myself to a smaller number. with my daily workouts i sometimes net a bunch under it. but i like keeping it at 1400 for now. its been 5 months.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    1200 is not a default. It's the minimum MFP will give you if you set your goals as low as possible (2lbs/week and sedentary). I'm currently eating 2200 a day when I don't exercise and more (up to about 3000) when I do, depending on what kind of workout I do. Still losing, albeit slowly.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My goal is set at 1650 and I usually eat back some of my exercise calories. As of December 16th I'd lost 14lbs in 10 weeks.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It can vary on activity for the day, generally NET falls between 1300-1600, I also use the TDEE minus deficit method and use the set own goals option on my food diary.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I know my TDEE from my actual results. I subtracted 500 from it to lose a pound a week and I eat 2100 calories/day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Is what your BMR is equal to or around the ballpark) of TDEE - 20%?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    5'10 with active as my setting 1826 on one site and 19something on the other.

I went for 1826 and I set my own macros at 45c/30p/25f.

I try to get as close as I can to that amount. It is a challenge to eat all those calories but I'm getting a little better at coming somewhat close on some days.

When I did MFP calculator it had me at 1480 or something like that. I like the other one better because it counters in my exercise calories on the principle I exercise 3-5 days a week.

I never log or pay attention to exercise calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1800-2100 right now, closer to the 2100 over the holidays. I am more or less maintaining with this, although my goal is to lower body fat percentage a bit more and hang onto my muscle. :smile: I'm 45 years old, 5'8", and average 137lbs. I lost my last 10lbs and got to goal weight eating 1800-2000 a day, and dropped a size, too.

And as another poster above me said - 1200 is not a default, but the lowest MFP goes when you go for the 2lbs a week goal.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My calories are in constant change.

I've just recently lowered my calories to maintain a 1 lbs/week loss, which is 1300 calories (I'm a shortie). That's my base though, for non-exercise days. On days I exercise I range 1500-1700 calories eaten.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE and BMR from scooby's workshop, and ate between those two numbers. I adjusted my macro settings on MFP to protein 30%, fats 30%, and carbs 40%. I ate most of my exercise calories from cardio, and I didn't eat exercise calories from strength training. It seemed to work just fine.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    My net is around 1550 but with exercise I eat about 1800-2000. Food is awesome.
  • kettle_belle83
    kettle_belle83 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I'm using TDEE as part of my calculation for calories technically it's not necessary to "eat back" my exercise calories, correct? TDEE is figuring in workouts. I've never been one to eat back those clarifies anyway but I know some people do.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If I'm using TDEE as part of my calculation for calories technically it's not necessary to "eat back" my exercise calories, correct? TDEE is figuring in workouts. I've never been one to eat back those clarifies anyway but I know some people do.

It depends. If you're calculating your TDEE to include your workouts (i.e. moderately or very active), then no, you wouldn't eat those calories back. I calculated my TDEE at sedentary and chose to eat my exercise calories back. It's just a matter of personal preference whether you want to "eat back" exercise calories or not. Just make sure you figure TDEE using the right settings for how you want to use it.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My calories are currently set at 2345. I use TDEE and since I have a relatively small amount to lose and am really more focused on fat loss and don't care how long it takes I have a very small deficit and expect very slow weight loss.

And yes, for TDEE method your exercise is already included so you DO NOT eat those calories back. Even though sometimes you REALLY want to.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE formula. TDEE includes your exercise, so you don't eat back exercise calories.

My TDEE is about 2300 and I eat around 1800-2000.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I also use the TDEE method. I tried the 1200 calories and it just wasn't enough for me. I have a lot to lose and am happy to lose it slowly...to try to reduce the amount of extra skin I could have and because I want this to be a permanent lifestyle change for me, not a diet that I go off and regain my weight plus some. Since January 2nd last year I've lost 55 lbs., almost 1/2 way there. Even better than the weight loss, I'm in the best shape I've been in for a long time and have gained confidence.
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've approached it as a mini science experiment. I've determined that if I eat a nutritious diet I can feel satisfied eating as low as 1300 calories a day. If I go below that number I can sense my body moving towards that "Starving" zone.
  • BushiStudy
    Options
    I fluctuate between 1600-2400 depending on the day and my training regimen. MFP seems to think I need 2100 to maintain my weight, but I see little or no change in weight when I am at 1600-1800, even when training frequently.