Runkeeper ???

I have used Map My Run....I lost 30 lbs in 2012, and used that when I walked or ran. This time, now that I'm trying to get back ON the wagon, I wanted to try Runkeeper. Any input on whether its pretty accurate? I used it yesterday for the first time...I did a mile, said I burned 142 calories. Today I did 2.11 miles, both times walking, and it said I burned 257 calories. I feel like that's high, and I hate adding it for it to be incorrect, b/c I am one that usually eats back most or all of my exercise calories. Advice???!!!

Replies

• dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    I really like Runkeeper, but I think that the calories are just an estimate based on your height, wieght, etc. I thiink a heart rate monitor will give you a more accurate read. I'm not sure if Runkeeper really takes into account the amount of calories you burn when running uphill, against the wind, or other things that affect heart rate and caloric burn outside of speed and distance.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    I've only used Runkeeper once but i wore my HRM also. The reading was almost exact. Maybe 1 or 2 calories out. But as i said i've only used it once.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Yes, HRM would make me feel much better. I used to have one...but not a very good one. I need to invest in a good one....or I'd really like a fitbit. Thanks for your input, ladies!
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    In my experience is not that accurate. To be fair none of the popular walking/running apps that I tried (Runkeeper, Endomondo, Runtastic) are.

An HRM can give you better results, but be advised that even HRM burns are estimates, not always correct.

Besides both apps and HRM usually give you a TOTAL (not net) calorie burn, that is they add your BMR (or RMR) to tose figures, so you can end up counting twice your RMR and thus overestimating your burns.

My advice: if you want a more accurate estimate of how many NET calories you are burning during a walk or a run you can use these formulas (adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004. more info here http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn and here http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning ) which as far as I know are the most accurate without using more specific tests:

Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile during a walk = 0.30 x your weight in lbs
    Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile during a run = 0.30 x your weight in lbs

Enjoy your walks!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I use RunKeeper for my running and walking and I find the calories it tells me I've burned are well above MFP and my HRM. I use the totals from my HRM and if I'm walking at work, I just use the MFP suggested cals.

ETA: I used the MapMyRun App a few years back and I never got the GPS to locate me - even in different parts of the country. This is why I switched to RunKeeper.
  • PeterMS1
    PeterMS1 Posts: 19 Member
    I think Runkeeper gives gross calories and you need to convert I use the application on the shapesense site seems OK. The result is close to that from MFP