Is it possible to lose 40-50 lbs in 5-6 months?

Options
2»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes. Should it? That's subjective.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Goals are great, but just start eating "light" and exercising religiously and see where it takes you.
    Best of luck to you.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes. Is it realistic? That's debatable. You might be able to do it, or you might stall out and not lose it all within that timeframe. There's no absolute answer on this.

I do know if you start logging, measuring, sticking to your daily goals and exercising, you're going to weigh less in 6 months than you do right now. It may not be your goal loss but it'll still be a damn good accomplishment.
  • readyfortaipei
    readyfortaipei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it. A year and a half ago I lost 50 pounds in about 5 months. It caused significant health issues that I am still dealing with. Be patient and do it safely. Even a 20 pound loss will make you feel great! Good Luck!
  • sheripamela
    sheripamela Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sure you can
  • Turntec22
    Options
    Up the exercise. 30 mins isn't that much.
  • OSUgal03
    OSUgal03 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you will have to watch what you eat and will have to do more then 30 mins of exercise. I joined MFP in Jan 12. From Jan-June I lost 55lbs. I started at 183, so similar to you. ( I then had a baby and gained it all back, hence why I am hear again!)
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Go easy on yourself. Don't worry so much about the numbers by such and such a date. I can guarantee you that if you eat at a deficit and exercise for the next 6 months you will see a noticeable difference. I can't wait to see where I'll be in six months!!! I've been at this since the end of November and have lost 8 lbs. I started at 173 lbs, 5'4 so similar numbers to yours. I already feel better. With each 5 lbs lost you should notice a difference and each 10 lbs lost is good for a pants size. Personally, I would just keep chipping away without putting so much pressure on yourself. Celebrate each 5 pounds lost knowing that you will eventually get there.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? yes, should you do it? no. For me with the weight you have to lose 40-50lbs in 5 months is too aggressive.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to lose weight for my boyfriend's graduation that is coming up and I want to be able to wear something cute without the constant voice in the back of my head worrying if I look bad or if I'm too fat for this dress etc. I've recently changed my eating habits. Focusing more on healthier foods that will keep me full instead of making me reach for a bag of potato chips. I workout at least 30 mins with combined cardio and strength, and am gradually working up to putting more time in. My height is 5'5 and I currently weigh 175lbs. My goal is to be atleast 135 or less by around the middle of June.
    If you have any suggestions on workouts or clean eating I would love to hear it!
    Thank you for your time and answers.

Back in my 20's I went from 260 to 166 in 3 months. This was done going totally vegetarian, 2 hours in the gym doing cardio and circuit training 3 times per day and drinking a ton of diet coke. Unhealthy, yes. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, but yes, I got it done. You have to really want it. Find a healthy way though.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Last July I started and lost 50 lbs in 6 months.

- I was losing a little over 2 lbs a week to start off with. I was worried about loose skin (since I had 80-90 lbs to lose) so I slowed down to less than 1 lb/week for the last couple of months. Btw - no loose skin so far:).

- I don't understand how folks were eating only 1200 a day. That just seems crazy to me. I think I would starve. They must have much more will power than me. What I did was cut it down to about 1800 - 1900 calories and then I exercised every single day for at least 60 minutes. I also increased that to 90 minutes or longer about 3 times a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to lose weight for my boyfriend's graduation that is coming up and I want to be able to wear something cute without the constant voice in the back of my head worrying if I look bad or if I'm too fat for this dress etc. I've recently changed my eating habits. Focusing more on healthier foods that will keep me full instead of making me reach for a bag of potato chips. I workout at least 30 mins with combined cardio and strength, and am gradually working up to putting more time in. My height is 5'5 and I currently weigh 175lbs. My goal is to be atleast 135 or less by around the middle of June.
    If you have any suggestions on workouts or clean eating I would love to hear it!
    Thank you for your time and answers.

Back in my 20's I went from 260 to 166 in 3 months. This was done going totally vegetarian, 2 hours in the gym doing cardio and circuit training 3 times per day and drinking a ton of diet coke. Unhealthy, yes. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, but yes, I got it done. You have to really want it. Find a healthy way though.

And here you are back with 140 lbs to lose, clearly it didn't work out.

I'm shaking my head at some of these answers. Also, losing your first 50 lbs is nothing like losing your last 50 lbs.

OP, don't do it! I lost 40 lbs in 4 months when I was 21. I gained it all back and more in 6 months because I never learned how to eat properly, and got stretch marks and whatnot in the process, which never went away.
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you keep exercising and eating well for the next 6 months, you're going to feel and look like a million bucks no matter what the scale says. You'll probably be down a few sizes.

Best answer ever.

Great Answer!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options

I'm trying to lose weight for my boyfriend's graduation that is coming up and I want to be able to wear something cute without the constant voice in the back of my head worrying if I look bad or if I'm too fat for this dress etc.

It looks as though the OP has dropped off the thread, possibly because she hasn't received much enthusiasm for her plan, but just in case she's still listening: Maybe you can lose 40-50 lbs in 5-6 months, but it's not likely at your weight (it's easier if you start out severely or morbidly obese). And it's no guarantee that the voice in your head will go away. The voice might still be there at 135 lbs or 130 lbs or 125 lbs, either because you might be a thin person who is not fit ("skinny fat") or because the voice has more to do with your self-image and self-confidence than with the number on the scale. Make good choices about what you eat, keep your workout commitments to yourself, and stop listening to the voice NOW. You can sizzle in a great dress whether you lose 40 lbs, 30 lbs, 20 lbs, or 10 lbs by May.
  • Bunny229
    Options
    It is completely possible, I'm down 48 lbs in 5 months. I'm eating 5 or less grams of fat and sugar and walking 30 minutes daily and it can totally happen! It takes a lot of effort but you can do it!!!! Best wishes!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    [
    Maybe you can lose 40-50 lbs in 5-6 months, but it's not likely at your weight (it's easier if you start out severely or morbidly obese).
    It is completely possible, I'm down 48 lbs in 5 months. I'm eating 5 or less grams of fat and sugar and walking 30 minutes daily and it can totally happen! It takes a lot of effort but you can do it!!!! Best wishes!

You and the OP aren't exactly coming from the same place though.
  • EatingThisNotThat
    Options
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all had more time to "do it the right way" ? You may not keep all the weight off forever, but I'd give it my best shot if I were you. Consider doing what some bariatric surgeons suggest when they need their patients to drop 30 lbs before they can have the surgery - don't eat anything that starts out white! That means no dairy from milk (including cheeses and ice cream), no white/light breads, no sugars, no white rice, no potatoes, etc.) I've known people who have dropped 30 lbs in 4-5 weeks (myself included) and if you can stick with it longer, you'll continue to lose relatively rapidly. Lots of fruits and veggies, lean protein, moderate exercise and portion control of course!
  • mattbarnett2000
    mattbarnett2000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just as a source of encouragement, I did it, and it took a lot of will power, sticking with the food diary, and lots of walking. I walked an average of 20km/week with my dog, usually 5 times a week. I ate as clean as I could, but did have some bad days in there too. Just remember you are doing it for yourself.
  • bnm1979
    bnm1979 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I did and you can too. I still have more to lose and toning. I know it will come off slower.