Petzi headlamp

Options
I have read that many of you night runners use a Petzi lamp. I'm curious if I have to spend $$$ for a top end one, or if the lower priced ones are fine. I know that the headlamp I have now is adequate, but my husband wants me in something brighter (preferably something that could bring in 747s, I think...). I run on a paved cycle path that is very dark, no streetlamps. I would love a bright lamp in front as well as a small red lamp in back. Is there such a thing? I've been looking, but was put off by the prices. Obviously, the consequences of not using a good lamp outweigh the price. Just looking for suggestions/experiences with a good one.

Knees up,
~Curly

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have one of the Petzl Tikka XP2 models with the rechargeable batteries, it's bright enough to light up pitch black trails and the flash mode gets the attention of driver's when I'm running along the side of the road.(I also wear my fluorescent yellow running jacket with reflective stripes - it makes a real fashion statement!)

I wouldn't run in the dark without it and it's been really handy for doing things around the house where I need extra light and don't have a free hand.

I think they're worth every penny and would buy another if mine got lost or broken.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love to run at night...my favorite run time is at 10PM and my loop includes a section of the highway and a dark unlit lakeshore. I don't worry much because I think they can see me from the space station! I wear a lighted/HI-VIS reflective hat, a HI-VIS running vest, flashing LED/reflective bands on both calves and my street side upper arm, and I have the glow-in-the-dark, dayglo orange and yellow reflective NB running shoes (yes, they really do glow. I can't even keep them in my bedroom at night because they glow A LOT!!!) My hat puts off enough light to run...but I have been looking to upgrade my vest to one of the lighted ones...might be a good alternative to a headlamp.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    FreakGirl, you should take a look at the Amphipod vest. I bought it for my daughter to use when running downtown (XC team) and now that the season's over, I'm using it all the time. They have a new one that has LED lights. I get many questions and comments about it when I'm out. It's outstanding. Cars and cyclists on my path can see me and I get lots of hollers from the cyclists ("Love the vest!") because I can be seen. Something about running in the dark...

~Curly

P.S. I doubt it could replace a headlamp, but you'll be lit up like a Christmas tree.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I love to run at night...my favorite run time is at 10PM and my loop includes a section of the highway and a dark unlit lakeshore. I don't worry much because I think they can see me from the space station! I wear a lighted/HI-VIS reflective hat, a HI-VIS running vest, flashing LED/reflective bands on both calves and my street side upper arm, and I have the glow-in-the-dark, dayglo orange and yellow reflective NB running shoes (yes, they really do glow. I can't even keep them in my bedroom at night because they glow A LOT!!!) My hat puts off enough light to run...but I have been looking to upgrade my vest to one of the lighted ones...might be a good alternative to a headlamp.

*kitten*, you glow a lot!

I have nothing to add bt I'm in to learn
    I just wear reflective stuff because it's bright enough where I live to run without an extra light.
    Theres only one road that isn't so I just avoid it when it's dark lol
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Petzl is a good brand, I have always used the cheapest models for camping/hiking/backpacking/dogwalking and they work great. I walk my dog a lot at night, and I put the little cheap attachable keychain colored lights on my dog's leash and one hanging on me too, and I make sure my dog and I both have something reflective on. I think having reflective materials on your outerwear is just as important as lights. Sometimes car headlights wash out your lights, but the reflective strips bounce back at them.