What's the best way to tone-up?

Options
Hi everyone! I need some advice! I'm 5'5" and right now I weigh 164,4 lbs. I really want to start with toning up but I don't know how

or even what to start with, as far as exercise??? I love to be outside, I love to run, I thought about doing the C25K program. Would

that be a good place to start with exercise or do I need to focus more on weights? Thanks in advance! And if anyone wants to add

me, feel free to, my username is CrumblingEnd. I would love more friends for motivation!

Replies

• Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by tone up, do you want to lose weight, or..? I always suggest lifting weights, it's what I do and love :smile:

edited, my starting weight was also 164.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    to "tone up" you have to reduce your body fat enough to reveal the definition of your existing muscle. Sure it helps to build up some muscle, but unless your body fat% is low enough, you won't get that "toned" look.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and/ or body strength exercises like planks, push ups, burpees, lunges, various squats
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Strength training + a small deficit. You will lose bodyfat and maintain most of the lean mass you have. You could even try maintenance as a "noob" combined with strength training and can add lean mass and lose body fat simultaneously. This will cease after a few months then you'd have to decide if you want to continue losing (deficit), maintain or gain more lean mass(surplus)
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    According to the scale I have here at home, my body fat is 9.5%. So that's where I get confused, where do I go from here? I hope that helps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    According to the scale I have here at home, my body fat is 9.5%. So that's where I get confused, where do I go from here? I hope that helps.

you go get a new scale. i really doubt you have 9.5% body fat, unless you look like this

female-8-9-percent-body-fat.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

you go get a new scale. i really doubt you have 9.5% body fat, unless you look like this

female-8-9-percent-body-fat.jpg

This..haha

You'd know about it if you were that low in bf!
    "Toning" just requires you to lose fat to show the muscle. No exercise necessary.
  • disney_girl125
    disney_girl125 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a ymca membership. I do body pump at least twice a week along with 2 days in the weight room. I met with a trainer who gave me a workout to do with the weights. It has helped me greatly. I lost a lot of weight before I decided to add weights in. So, I have a lot of toning up to do. On top of the weights I do cardio 5-6 days a week.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as "toning up". What you mean when you say that is you want to lose fat and building muscle so you can see your muscles. You do this by eating less and doing both cardio and strength training.
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA!!! I FIND THIS SO FUNNY! Yeah the scale was wrong. I have 33.9 % body fat, lol. I knew 9,5 wasn't right at all but I put that on here because that is what the scale kept telling me. Come to find out, my socks were on, and the socks have to be off to read the body fat right. LOL Sorry about that guys!
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    i was about the same when i started, a little taller tho. i started jillian michaels ripped in 30. there is a group for it too if you look. but i think it works great for toning as long as you eat clean while you are doing it. the circuit training helps strengthen, works on cardio health, and focuses on core strength too. i think its an allaround great workout. i throw in some pilates and cardio kickboxing now too if i get bored of it. its only 30 min total, so a great bang for your buck as far as time during the day. im trying to stay to 4-5 times per week. good luck!