I can't kick my cravings

Options
Lately especially at night I crave sweets and I've been indulging in ice cream and peanut butter cups every night for the past week now!!! So I went to the grocery store and instead I picked up lollipops. I figured instead of eating ice team every night I would substitute it for a lollipop to save in calories and at the same time satisfy my sweet tooth. Does anyone have any tips on how to satisfy a sweet craving?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Don't feed it....
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I try and leave room at the end of the day for something sweet. :-) I buy low-fat ice cream or some skinny cow desserts or something else that might kick the craving. I found the more I tried to substitute, the worse the cravings would be, then I would sit down and eat an entire box of cookies or carton of ice cream! Good luck!!!
  • readyfortaipei
    readyfortaipei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You control what you put in your mouth. You just have to make the choice to not eat sweets. It may take several days, but eventually the cravings will go away.

Good Luck - I know sweets are a tough one.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Three things help me deal with that. 1)Eat a good amount of protein and fat. 2) Create a reasonable calorie deficit - not a huge one. 3)Save enough calories for a treat at the end of the day.
  • wide2bride
    Options
    I have the answer to this 100%...I am a recent recovering sugarholic!! It seemed I let myself have one thing and it led to another and another and another and well...before ya know it I thought "i better cut this out or i'm never going to get to my goals" and I found that I simply couldn't do it. I HAD to have that ice cream (or whatever it was that evening) or I was going to go crazy.

You know what I had to do? I had to find a way to hold myself accountable, and go cold turkey off the sugars (this meant no non vege carbs after 2 pm for me) I literally thought I was going to DIE for 3 whole days, but I found my will to make progress stronger than the cravings and held strong. I watched motivational youtube videos, googled clean eating recipes, looked at pictures of women that I aspire to look like and guess what??? Day 4 it was like magic, all of a sudden although still a little difficult to say no to the pot luck sweets at work I was able to control myself. I think I literally went through a detox of sorts.

My advice: Find your motivation. Hold tight and don't budge. One sugar leads to another!
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drinks lots of cups of herbal and spicy tea at night. The different flavours satisfy my craving to taste something interesting. I have about 35 to 40 different teas on my shelf!

When I feel the need to chew something, I munch on raw vegetables: carrots, radish, cauliflower, frozen peas… The calories in them are negligible.

On good days, all it takes is for me to tell myself that eating is done for the day. Every now and then, I listen to myself and accept it. :happy:
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My best advise is to try replacing it with fruit that is naturally sweet. That said, I have the same problem. When I can't sleep at night I want to eat. And I never crave a carrot, it's cookies, ice cream etc. Once I recognized that fact, it became easier for me to control.

I now keep healthier, easy snacks in the frig ready to go when the urge hits. I allow myself to snack but it can't be anything else. I also plan for these snacks by saving some calories to cover it. If I don't have one, then I just did that much better for the day. :smile:

In those moments when I just can't take it anymore, my go to choice is Skinny Cow products. Their caramel truffle ice cream bar is fantastic, tastes sinful but it isn't. The wafers/bars are great too.
  • christa0130
    christa0130 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started drinking chocolate protein shakes with just whole milk in them last night, and that alone has helped me a ton. It also helps me to stay fuller longer.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I usually go with fruit
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have to abstain because sugar affects me much in the same way alcohol does to an alcoholic: I can't stop at just one. So now I just don't eat sweets, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. The cravings go away eventually.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    make your craving part of your life.

you like something sweet at the end of the day? well, make sure you have enough calories left at the end of the day for a serving and enjoy!

this is what i do with wine.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    welp, you're in charge of you

you either figure out a way to get them to fit

don't buy them

or

JSF

your choice
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the reason you are having cravings is because you keep caving and having just a little. you are just torturing yourself.

you have to go cold turkey. No fake sugar substitutes either.

give up everything sweet for 3 days and you're out of the woods. Don't go back.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant

Congratulation on the triplets.
  • carrieous
    Options
    you really shouldn't do that at night.
  • carrieous
    Options
    I started drinking chocolate protein shakes with just whole milk in them last night, and that alone has helped me a ton. It also helps me to stay fuller longer.

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

If you have plenty of calories at the end of the day it is fine. Time of the day makes no difference.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    First of all, the less sweet foods you have, the less sweet foods you will crave. Whether you slowly reduce the amount of sugar or go cold turkey, the sweetness cravings will become easier to deal with. I've been making my own granola, muffins, etc. and reducing the amount of sugar the recipe calls for. I also never add sugar to my coffee in the morning and I used to be a Starbucks addict!

Second of all, since I know I love sweet foods, especially for dessert, I plan that into my day. Fresh fruit and dark chocolate are my best friends; I find that it's helpful to have a combination meal, like oatmeal with dark chocolate chips and banana slices, to satisfy my sweet tooth but also fill me up so I don't continue stuffing my face with chocolate.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

STILL laughing at this

I eat before bed. I've worked whatever it is into my calorie allotment and macros for the day

#losingweightthewrongway
  • linorang1
    Options
    I assume you can resolve this problem through proper meal timing throughout the day, this will ensure you can enjoy foods at times you crave them.