How do I pick a goal weight?

Options
I'm 5'4", 129 pounds, size 2. Other people think i'm crazy for wanting to lose more weight. My magic number that I envisioned for myself was 115. Who knows what that looks like though..lol. I lost weight without doing weight training, so now i'm a flabby loose skin mess...lol. I have lost 87 pounds so far. I now do weight training and cardio, and have worked with a trainer to help me with a weight training workout. She suggested I aim for 125. How did you pick your goal weight? I'd like to be in a bikini this summer, and despite being in a small size, my belly is still flabby.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You are paying a trainer. Why not listen to her/him? If you work at lifting, you will look fantastic at whatever weight. There is no magic number.

129-115=14. You're talking almost another 10% of your weight! You've already lost 40%. Work on fitness and see where you are in May.

And congratulations! That is SO FANTASTIC!
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    To pick your goal weight you need to think of what bf% you want to be at....
  • queenstl
    queenstl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I choose my weight goal by how i felt and looked at time i was that weight. If you look back at pictures of yourself, you know how your clothes fit, and if you felt comfortable in that size. :smooched:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Results:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.0 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 129.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 120.6 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 119.7 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 107.8 lbs - 145.6 lbs
    US units metric units other units
    height feet inches
    Calculate
    http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=37&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=4&cheightmeter=180&x=44&y=12
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My trainer said not to pick a goal weight to pick a healthy fat percentage. So, whatever weight I am when I get there that's what I'll be.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I had an original goal weight of 135lbs, because that's what I was in my 20's and I remember looking decent back in those days. What I didn't take into consideration is having 3 kids since then, as well as now being in my 30s. The morning I hit my goal weight I looked in the mirror and though WTH?! This is not how I looked when I was 21 :grumble: :laugh:

So I kept at it and have dropped almost 20 more pounds. I'm now maintaining in the 117.5-121lb range (5ft, 6in), and like how I look and feel now. I'm at the low end of the healthy bmi range for my height and my bf% is somewhere in the 18-19% range. I'm the thinnest I've ever been as an adult and a year ago I never would have thought where I am now was even an option. But here I am, and I'm very happy with it :smile:

If you're not happy with where you're at now then there's nothing wrong with keep losing (as long as you're still within a healthy bmi range). But, you could also take a maintenance break, focus on fitness for a while, and see if that takes you where you want to go. This whole process is a series of adjustments and there is no wrong way to do it :smile: