Questions...

Options
I weighed myself a few weeks ago and I was 156.0. Ever since then when I weigh myself, it's always around the 162 area and never seems to be going down. I don' know how this happened in a matter of a few weeks, I know it's water weight but I don't know how to get myself back down to the 156.0 range. I'm currently trying to maintain my weight... Help? I don't know if it's fat or what.

I'm 18 years old, 5'11", and male. I'm quite active I try to go to the gym at least 3 days a week and usually run, I also have a job were I'm mostly on my feet.

Also, I have a really bad eating problem. If I eat one thing, then I have to eat ALL of it. I can't control my eating and I don't know how to fix this issue, do I start eating breakfast or what? I usually skip breakfast but I heard that doesn't matter anymore. I just want to be a normal kid and just eat like the rest, but I can't without overeating every time! I eat protein, fiber, etc. to try to keep me full but it doesn't help me...

Am I overreacting? Is it just because I'm only 18 or what?

By the way, I had an account on here but I forgot the information, lol so I'm not new here.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You are right in the middle of a healthy BMI range so I would not worry about your weight. You're exercising. Your at a good weight. You're in good shape.

Your issue with not being able to stop eating when you start is more problematic. If it feels compulsive to you, then maybe you should talk to someone about it. Cognitive behavioral therapy can be very effective with those types of problems before they get out of hand.

If it doesn't feel compulsive - it's just a bad habit - try other things. Put smaller portions on your plate. Take one cookie, not five. Don't eat things out of bags (put chips in a bowl, never eat them out of the bag). Sometimes people have trouble not eating - especially growing people - is that they really are HUNGRY. I have two tall skinny skinny sons, and when it's cold and they're exercising, they vacuum up food because they need it.

BTW - for me, eating breakfast and lunch makes it much easier for me to eat modestly at dinner. If I skip breakfast, I eat way too much at dinner. Not a healthy habit. So now, any time I'm hungry, I eat. Not a lot - 5 cashews, a fig, a bit of ice cream - but something. I'm much less hungry and eat fewer calories overall. That is especially true when it's cold.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    I weighed myself a few weeks ago and I was 156.0. Ever since then when I weigh myself, it's always around the 162 area and never seems to be going down. I don' know how this happened in a matter of a few weeks, I know it's water weight but I don't know how to get myself back down to the 156.0 range. I'm currently trying to maintain my weight... Help? I don't know if it's fat or what.

I'm 18 years old, 5'11", and male. I'm quite active I try to go to the gym at least 3 days a week and usually run, I also have a job were I'm mostly on my feet.

Also, I have a really bad eating problem. If I eat one thing, then I have to eat ALL of it. I can't control my eating and I don't know how to fix this issue, do I start eating breakfast or what? I usually skip breakfast but I heard that doesn't matter anymore. I just want to be a normal kid and just eat like the rest, but I can't without overeating every time! I eat protein, fiber, etc. to try to keep me full but it doesn't help me...

Am I overreacting? Is it just because I'm only 18 or what?

By the way, I had an account on here but I forgot the information, lol so I'm not new here.

Are you still keeping a food diary and logging everything?
  • saab002
    saab002 Posts: 10
    Options
    I do have a food diary, yes.

Yeah, it's starting to get real cold here, I don't know if people get hungrier in the winter or what, lol.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you want to be 156 you'll need to go down to 150, to allow the body the extra few lbs to adjust to maintenance weight.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For the eating thing, that is all you. It's like me sitting down and saying "I'm going to play pokemon for 20 minutes" and realizing three hours later that... oops...

You have to break yourself of that habit. It sounds like a mean, nasty thing to say, but the truth is that this is only going to come from inside you. If somebody else forces you to break that habit you know what's going to happen as soon as they're gone? It comes back. You have to do this. You have to decide what you want, and how you're willing to get there. You have to be the one to tell yourself that, no, you don't need more than three cookies.

What I've done in the past to enforce good habits and punish bad ones is to start a money jar. For every time I do something "good," I put a quarter (or a dollar, whatever) in a jar. Every time I do something "bad" (i.e. eat more than three cookies), I remove from the jar. Any money removed goes off to the side.

At the end of a set time period (usually a month), I take the money from the jar and buy a pair of jeans or something. All of the money set off to the side, that got removed because I was bad? I donate it. It's not my money anymore. I lost the right to it by not doing what I said I would do.

Feel free to add me for support!