Too many calories for breakfast, what now?

Options
I usually have fruits as they fill me up easily and, as a result, I can usually restrain my breakfast to under 400 cals (I have to try as I have a black hole for stomach lol). Today, we ran out of fruits so I picked toasts (kind of whole wheat but not. I mean, it was labelled whole wheat but I doubt it is completely).

I easily finished 2.6 toasts (gave half a slice to family) topped with mashed avocado and ground flaxseed. I also had 5 almonds, then I made the mistake of eating more than half of a danish pastry.

So I think I've had around 650+/- calories for breakfast, out of a 1300-1400 calories diet. Um, what now?? Should I skip lunch (as I've had my breakfast at 10)? Or if not, how much/what should I eat for lunch? and does anyone else ever feel like they always have to consciously try to stop themselves from eating too much? I don't know why but I feel like I have a hollow stomach and can easily overeat on ANYTHING.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eat something less calorie dense and more filling.

Spinach salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, and broccoli topped with balsamic vinegar is easily under 300 calories.

Also, I suggest consuming some protein.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Spinach salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, and broccoli topped with balsamic vinegar is easily under 300 calories.

^^^^^^ This.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I ate 500 cal of chocolates for morning tea so I'm in the same boat

I ate a salad with cheese for lunch and I've planned a lean beef roast with zucchini for dinner. I've done 20 min on the bike but will probably do some more exercise when it cools down again.

My usual goto meal for a high calorie day is a lean cuisine meal for dinner.
    Make sure you eat low cal veggies to fill up with.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Either broth based soup or salad for supper would keep you pretty low calories still and be fullfilling. Chef salad would be good with a lite Catalina dressing or something or maybe like a cabbage soup
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Do what I did and go to subway for lunch.

Got a turkey and ham on wheat, little mayo, vinegar, and veggies =340 for 6inch. Would be less if no mayo. I'm pretty full. Cannot eat the other half. lol
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This.

+1

And, just a thought - some people (me, for one!) tend to use breakfast to "fuel up" for the day, then ratchet it back a bit later in the day. You have a different pattern (we're all different!), yet perhaps on days like this you could use this other rationale to help you think of it positively. Keeping your brain onside is right up there with managing your food!

Good luck!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I routinely eat about 350-400cals for b'fast, BUT almost 30 grams of protein. This would help you feel fuller longer. To be honest, you probably feel like you have a hollow stomach, b/c you aren't eating enough protein. Check your food diary (if you are logging) and see how much protein you are eating (and how many carbs).

Also, I found the pre-set percentage of cals from protein (15%) on MFP was way too low for me. I had to change it to 30% and lower my carb setting.

I also find that if I have gotten too close to my cal limits in the evening, I usually have a HUGE spinach salad with a couple of tablespoons or low cal dressing and some hot tea.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yep get some protein in, you can graze as long as you measure food out and include it in your calories. I'm on 1400 cals per day too

I have about 600 cals for breakfast, usually a grilled salmon fillet, two egg omelette (no milk) and half an avocado.
    Then 25g mixed natural nuts (not peanuts) mid morning 170 cals
    Lunch is a measured portion of stew I make with beef and vegetables 300 cals
    Mid afternoon snack is about 200 cals as I scoff Graze box pun nets
    Dinner allows me to eat the remainder of my cals 130 plus all my exercise calories, usually about 500.

Sometimes I don't spend all my calories. Two portions of my homemade gluten free fish and sweet potato pie is 510 calls, if I was really hungry, but it's really filling and satisfying.... So if I had that for my dinner I would still have 120 unspent cals! Yay!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a "breakfast" person. I am too. Preplan choices that have more protein in them. I myself chow down on protein-fortified pancakes about every morning. I inhale them within moments of waking. My calories are right around 450 give-or-take how much butter I slather. But I also get 40+gm of protein too. These keep me fueled all the way to lunch and then-some on a non-workout day and an awesome kickstart to a heavy biking session. (like today :bigsmile: )

And. I don't share. :wink:

(eta: fuel your body & feed it)
  • Hughesers
    Hughesers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    eat a low fat lunch, salad or meat and veg, then do some exercise, 45 minutes swim or an hour and half walk, gives you a few extra calories for the rest of the day
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Do what I did and go to subway for lunch.

Got a turkey and ham on wheat, little mayo, vinegar, and veggies =340 for 6inch. Would be less if no mayo. I'm pretty full. Cannot eat the other half. lol
    Sure, this'll work. Walk there. :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd make breakfast more filling/ satisfying - include protein, fat and vegetables not just carbs from fruit or toast. The protein fat and fiber will likely fix your "black hole" stomach!

For the rest of today, aim for protein and fat and less calorie dense options like salad to give you some volume.
  • fujiko
    fujiko Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise and get back your calories for the day. You couldn't get a better excuse!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise and get back your calories for the day. You couldn't get a better excuse!

This is the answer and it should have been said much sooner.
  • cizzawizza
    cizzawizza Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What about a yummy ham and cheese Omlette for lunch

2 medium eggs, 1 slice of ham, a splash of skimmed milk and 25g of cheddar, works out as 265 cals. This keeps my hunger at bay.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options

^ This.

I am also a big breakfast eater. I can cut back to 435 calories for breakfast, but that is it.

Occasionally i have a bigger breakfast when I make french toast (with whole wheat bread), waffles, or pancakes (in addition to the two eggs i have every morning). During those days i do go over, I have a slightly smaller lunch and or dinner, and then make up for it with additional exercise.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Well instead of torturing yourself with broth or lettuce, how about you just eat your normal lunch and dinner? Because an extra few hundred calories today is not going to kill you.
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Well instead of torturing yourself with broth or lettuce, how about you just eat your normal lunch and dinner? Because an extra few hundred calories today is not going to kill you.

Discipline is the key. You can't tell yourself a few hundred calories won't kill me.....of course it wont, if you calculated it that way but i don't think people should fall into this mindset at all.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    get some cottage cheese when this happens, and hit that hunger with half a cup of it every couple hours.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    I usually have fruits as they fill me up easily and, as a result, I can usually restrain my breakfast to under 400 cals (I have to try as I have a black hole for stomach lol). Today, we ran out of fruits so I picked toasts (kind of whole wheat but not. I mean, it was labelled whole wheat but I doubt it is completely).

I easily finished 2.6 toasts (gave half a slice to family) topped with mashed avocado and ground flaxseed. I also had 5 almonds, then I made the mistake of eating more than half of a danish pastry.

So I think I've had around 650+/- calories for breakfast, out of a 1300-1400 calories diet. Um, what now?? Should I skip lunch (as I've had my breakfast at 10)? Or if not, how much/what should I eat for lunch? and does anyone else ever feel like they always have to consciously try to stop themselves from eating too much? I don't know why but I feel like I have a hollow stomach and can easily overeat on ANYTHING.

Fill up on veggies, plate full of peas, broccoli, cauliflower, 100g of new potatoes and a small piece of meat like pork chop or lamb cooked in half a teaspoon of olive oil... less than 350 calories for a plateful.