How bad are vegetables from Chinese buffets??

Options
Not the fresh vegetables in the salad bar, I mean more like the green beans tht have some sort of glaze on them or the broccoli and cooked onions and peppers I'm not sure what kind of sauce they are cooked in so it's hard for me to gauge calorie content .
Today I went to a Chinese buffet and stuffed myself with a lot of those vegetables and grilled chicken terriyaki (spelling?) breast. I did have fresh salad as well and no rice or noodles. Even though those seemed like the "healthier" options I did eat a ton because I had only eaten 2 eggs before my workout in the morning and a muscle milk light afterwards and I was ravished by dinner time. I didn't have time to eat in between :(
My calorie goal is about 1500- 1600 and I'm wondering how much damage I did

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this too because I sometimes eat at a Chinese buffet near my house and always have the green beans. I found this, which looks close:

http://chinese.food.com/recipe/glazed-chinese-long-beans-or-green-beans-385445/review

Nutritional Facts for Glazed Chinese Long Beans (Or Green Beans)

Serving Size: 1 (83 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving% Daily Value Calories 129.2
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffets are notorious for cooking with **** loads of oil and sugar. My suggestion would be to find a "real" recipe for whatever it is you're eating, and triple however many calories they claim for it.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Restaurants use a lot of oils in their veggies to give it "shine" and flavor. Unless they were from the salad bar and nekkid, you probably consumed more fat gms than you wanted.

This link may be helpful, has many diff Chinese restr & choices on it.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-chinese-food-ic3503-1
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised if your feet and hands are swollen in the morning. You probably consumed enough salt for a Clydesdale! And everyone is right, the primary ingredient in the glazes was probably corn oil. Those green beans probably had the same oil content as Applebee's green bean fries. But hey, now you know.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    oh and Teryaki sauce is loaded with sugar and all sorts of of other things
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Chinese buffet is a splurge, over calories, over fat, over sugar, over salt, over everything. Vegetables, chicken, rice or no rice. If you choose to eat there, just be aware that there probably isn't much that doesn't fall into the above "over" category. Which is fine if you aren't fooling yourself that it is something else.
    Best.