Disappointed in my sports watch/hrm...suggestions or advice?

Options
So for Christmas my husband bought me the TomTom GPS Multisport Watch with the tomtom heart rate monitor chest strap. I fell in love with it as it tracks everything I was doing, especially the outdoor running and treadmill option. At the moment though I have not had access to the gym and it is negative degree weather with at least a foot of snow so I have been stuck doing home workouts. Problem with this is there is no option to use the heart rate monitor with the watch for anything but cycling, swimming, treadmill, and outdoor running. The instructions for the hrm are not detailed at all and says that it can connect with bluetooth capable apps but I have yet to find one! Also my main purpose for the hrm chest strap was to accurately track my heart rate and calories burned. I thought that was the main point of the heart rate monitor chest strap but after exercising without wearing the watch it recorded I had burned zero calories and would only say I was burning calories when the watch was being moved....any suggestions or ideas of where I can connect/bluetooth the hrm that will use my heart rate, weight, age, or whatever they use to track calories burned? I am completely new to using fitness devices so I have no clue where to start! I have googled everything under the sun and also have not found anything. I feel like my poor husband wasted $250 bucks for something I can only use during the spring/summer months since I am stuck with home workouts until this crazy weather changes! Also would anyone know how accurate my calories burned would be if I am in treadmill mode but just doing my home workout? Sorry if this is a long, stupid, or no brainer question! I am very new to this!

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 and so far it's been great. The higher-end Polar's include GPS, but I'm not much of a runner (and never outdoors) so GPS is a non-issue for me.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    To be fair, the modes are more than you get on most watches.

The polar ft7, for example, only has one mode. That means it works really well for whatever it's calibrated for, and not so well for... any other kind of activity.