Not getting enough calories/ night time hunger

Options
So, I"m just embarking on my journey (started about 3 weeks ago) and just started limiting calories but not keeping track until yesterday. I have now realized that I am not eating enough calories, and my biggest issue is that I don't eat enough throughout the day and then have a ton of calories left at night. For instance, my base calorie intake is 1200, but with my exercise today, I should be eating 1800... It's 10:00 and I still "should" be eating another 700+ calories for the day, which means I didn't even get my base calories in for the day. I am hungry NOW (really hungry) but feel like I shouldn't eat more at this time of night, and if I should be eating just for the calories, WHAT should I be eating at this time of night? The frustrating thing is, though, that I wasn't hungry throughout the day today... just got hungry in the last hour or so. Any tips on how to fix this?

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want! Doesn't matter as long as you stay under your calorie goal AND meet your macros. Ice cream sounds good to me! Also the time you eat doesn't matter. Eating before bed will not stop you from losing weight.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Not sure that there's a problem. Don't worry about time at night. Go ahead and eat. I eat late at night too sometimes, depending on work, schedules, etc. not a problem....just stick to your macronutrients and calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating too close to bed time, but I eat a large chunk of my food at night with no issues - I stop a couple of hours before bed. Eat whatever you need to meet your macro goals.
  • CoachFusion
    CoachFusion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great post. . .this may sound dumb but no question is ever that way when asked from the right place. Do you have a firm grasp of what "macros" are?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no issue with eating late at night (assuming that it does not cause problems sleeping) if you are hungry, especially if you are significantly under your calorie target.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't disrupt your sleep, feel free to eat all your calories in the evening.

I lost all of my weight eating about 1000 cals every night right before bed.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help - I had always heard that you shouldn't eat late at night because you don't burn the calories as well when sleeping, etc.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Great post. . .this may sound dumb but no question is ever that way when asked from the right place. Do you have a firm grasp of what "macros" are?

yeah - you're right - seems like a dumb question, but really not. I was guessing that "macros" are the fat/carb/protein, etc. components that are tallied along with calories. Is that right?

I just ate a salad with rice and beans, etc. and that got me a lot closer to my calorie goal... and if my understanding of "macros" is right, I seem to be doing okay there in terms of balance, etc.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    yeah - you're right - seems like a dumb question, but really not. I was guessing that "macros" are the fat/carb/protein, etc. components that are tallied along with calories. Is that right?

I just ate a salad with rice and beans, etc. and that got me a lot closer to my calorie goal... and if my understanding of "macros" is right, I seem to be doing okay there in terms of balance, etc.

Great job. Now eat some ice cream and have a good night!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are correct re what macros are.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for all the help - I had always heard that you shouldn't eat late at night because you don't burn the calories as well when sleeping, etc.

That is a pretty big misconception. You are still burning calories when sleeping - breathing, tissue and muscle repair etc - and this type of thing actually burns more calories than you day to day activities. For example, someone's BMR (what they burn doing nothing at all) may be around 1,500 calories. Their TDEE, excluding 'formal' exercise (total calories burned) may well be only 500 calories more. There is also evidence that suggests that your BMR actually speeds up during sleep.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love to eat at night, and can often go until 2-4 PM before I even start eating for the day...and most of my calories are eaten between 8pm and sleep time. Eating at night is fine, unless it gives you tummy trouble...and some people get strange dreams!
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too when I'm busy I'm not thinking about food but after dinner my body craves that high sugar stuff. I want ice cream, chocolate cake whatever just something sweet. So I started having one small chocolate bar a night or a dessert yogurt. Don't know if you want something sweet but this works for me.
  • CoachFusion
    CoachFusion Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was away for a bit. . .nice thread still going. .see a trend? Everyone likes to eat at night. Cyclic Keto (Warrior diet) is the easiest thing in the world to do. . .it just takes changing the thoughts we have all been programmed to have about eating 6-7 small meals. . .which is bunk. It overtaxes your digestive system and takes energy from your brain during the day. . .but you can't go halfway and eat cookies at lunch. . .:) 17 hours of no eating and drinking lots of water plus having Green drinks during the day will have you ready to plow through a 4 hour eating window and you won;t be hungry the next day. . .
    Eat your protein and fats + green veggies first and take your time. .if you are hungry after that you can put in a little bit of your fave carbs like sweet potato etc. :) I hope you are still on your way to fitness freedom:)

Coach_Fusion