They don't hire overweight people....

Options
I am a fulltime student earning my degree as a Medical Assistant... This is the first week of class and today we were going over the basics: grooming, appearence, ect.... and it says that doctors don't really hire overweight people bc of insurance purposes....
So now I feel pressured again... if I don't lose the weight I wont get a job bc no one wants to hire a "fatty".. I know I could use it as motivation but...... yea i am little distubed...
How do I overcome this emotional hurdle????

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Focus on ensuring your weight loss efforts are for YOU and don’t focus on not getting hired due to weight. If it is a private practice and the doctor/owner is paying for medical insurance for his/her staff I can see them doing that since the health problems associated with being overweight individuals are numerous. If someone was going to gamble on who “looks” healthy, picking someone of a healthy weight is one place to start.

I am NOT saying this is fair and I wish you well, just focus on YOU and the healthy long life you want to lead. Especially being in the medical profession you have or will see firsthand people suffering from preventable weight-related illnesses and diseases and that will be motivation for you to live a healthier life

Best of luck!
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I have had 2 different doctors within the last 5 years and they both had overweight nurses & MAs working for them.

Take it with a grain of salt.....Make this a lifestyle change for you.

Remember on a job interview....let your skills and your great personality shine thru....the rest will fall into place.

I am well over 150lbs over-weight and have always been able to find a job.....and get insurance.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    No one likes to be told they are not valuable if you carry extra weight. And it is a wrong assumption. (Ms. Skinny could be a closet smoker and off sick) We should be evaluated as to what we can do. It's not fair. That said, that's not the point.
    When you are ready, and you have decided that you will make a healthy lifestyle change because you are worthy of the time and effort it will take, then you will be successful. This is about you, nobody and nothing else.
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    just consider it as you are on your Healthy Life journey (not "diet") so that when you interview for a job it will be your beautiful face, awesome resume, and energetic attitude that they see and HIRE... and as you will be a healthier weight and therefore live a lot longer... they can pay you twice as much for longer.. you WIN WIN!! Just a thought....
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I agree - keep focused on what you are doing for you.

I've had plenty of nurses that were no pixie. And my sister-in-law is a dietician who has never been out of work and until recently was quite overweight (she's lost over 100 lbs with fitnesspal). I wouldn't assume that this person is right, first of all.

Every company has to keep "Insurance purposes" in mind because if they offer group health insurance then the overall rates for the company go up depending on the general medical health of the employees. So an overweight person vs. a person with a history of general illness would be much the same here. It's just that "overweight" is the only one they see during an interview. Still, I wouldn't expect this to really be a big issue during hiring. The people that do the interviewing and the people that handle all that paperwork could be completely different people depending on the company.

Stay focused on yourself and your goals.
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I also say take it with a grain of salt. I truly hope that you dont see that as more pressure to lose. Just take care of yourself, make the changes that you can maintain for a lifetime and by the time you go to interview as a healthy, energetic person, the fact that you value wellness will come through and doctors will kill to hire you, no matter what size you are.
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    I've been to doctor's offices with overweight employees, even the doctor himself. You need to work where people are human and don't make choices so strictly based on outside appearance. That is something very wrong with this culture in general. That said, if you want to lose weight, go for it. It is achievable and will make you feel great (looking great is secondary).
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ok I have been a nurse for 28 years. I have weighed 350 pounds plus during this time. Now if this were as major a problem as they are leading you to believe... why are there not restricitons in entry to their program..... Why are they educating you if they don't believe you can get a job.... Helloooo, Someone is on their soapbox a that program...
    With that said... Yes. employers are looking at wt... risk and the like more now... ... but you cannot be denied a job because of your weight(unless it is outlined in job requirements... like a jockey.)

What does this mean to you? This means you continue your weight loss journey as you are because it is what you want to do.... it means you don't stress,, Stress is the biggest ally of weight gain.... You stress you gain...
    Relax.... You are being educated to do a job.... If they truly didn't believe you would get work they couldn't educate you.... think of the liablity that would bring.....

Employers, even in the medical field look at your qualifications.... your temperment.... Your education, If you are denied a position because of your weight you have been discriminated against and can sue....
    If you are denied because of your weight you will never know about it... because they can't.do it. Only in condition I mentioned before.
    As a nurse I was a manger and a director of a dialysis program. Have hired and fired.... And I promise you ... I would have never been able to fire or not hire someone for that reason... I would have been fired....
    My own personal experience ... I moved here to ireland My husband said i wouldnever get a job because of my weight... Well.. I nearly bought into his story..... but I did get a job.... Weight was never mentioned And am now even morehappily employed as my new smaller self.

SO.Chin Up.... Study hard.... Keep up the good work on your journey and be the very best person you can be.... Because you are absolutley wonderful.... Believe it.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Definitely focus on doing this for you.

Fatties are discriminated against (the vast majority of the discrimination is totally subconscious, I imagine) when it comes to being hired in most fields of work, so it's not just the medical profession feeling the pressure you're feeling. :wink:
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Not all hospital systems are like that however the hostial system my mom works for just addapted a new healthy thingy. They took out the outdoor (smoking ban indoors in this state) smoking stations , they are now only offering healthy options in the vending machine AND they will not hire anyone that is over weight. My mom was concerned about that seeing as she is over weight BUT the new rule only applies to new hires, ppl alrady working there wont be effected by it. I dont think its right However I find it hypocritical for an over weight dr or nurse to tell anyone to lose weight.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just work on getting healthy. If you get an interview and they try to not hire you or make faces when they see you...tell them, "Test me. I'm getting HEALTHY." And I know plenty of heavy girls who work in DR's offices so I wouldn't worry. Do this most definitely for YOU and don't worry about anything else. Everything will fall into place when it's supposed to.
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work at a dr office and i am overweight. Dont believe everything you hear.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not all hospital systems are like that however the hostial system my mom works for just addapted a new healthy thingy. They took out the outdoor (smoking ban indoors in this state) smoking stations , they are now only offering healthy options in the vending machine AND they will not hire anyone that is over weight. My mom was concerned about that seeing as she is over weight BUT the new rule only applies to new hires, ppl alrady working there wont be effected by it. I dont think its right However I find it hypocritical for an over weight dr or nurse to tell anyone to lose weight.
    This would fall under pre-employment requirement. You would know this up front.....
    The hospitals in Tennessee before I left were implementing the no smoking and even in Dallas Texas15 years ago.
  • KayKGee98
    Options
    Lose weight to prove everyone WRONG! Tell yourself you WILL get the job even if you don't lose but if you still lose some weight you'll have even more of a chance then everyone else does.. :) Good luck!:)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Okay, I cannot even express how much this bothers me. Especially the post about the hospital that won't hire overweight people. HOW is that not discrimination? HOW is that legal? I see no smoking rules as different... they aren't saying you can't smoke, just that you can't smoke on their property. That is pretty common at most places of employment (thank goodness! Being around smoke makes me not able to breathe!)

I think it hit me as well because my sister just finished a medical assistant program and is having trouble finding work. She is about as overweight as I am (which is quite a bit).

I will say that I've had overweight nurses over the years though... but even the fact your program is saying that weight is a factor bothers me. Personally, I'd be up there asking the teacher why they admit people into their program that they don't feel have a chance of getting a job. And I would definitely be working on losing weight along the way.... but not because THEY said so!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    That's quite upsetting, but work through the logic of why this is so....you need to be physically fit to work with patients (you may need to lift someone, etc.) and also if you are fit and at a healthy weight, you are setting an example for patients that may have weight related health problems...use it as a motivator to get fit and healthy for life!!! You can do it!! Just think of all the stories you can tell patients about your weightloss journey. Best of luck to you :)
  • sandradee82
    sandradee82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am and WILL lose the weight!! I am doing this for myself, and my family. Thank you everyone for your incouraging words. It means alot to know that there are so many people who are behind me.