Digital (Body) Scale-avoid if you want readable output!!

Options
Just want to save someone the trouble of what I just discovered.

I have a perfectly good Taylor digital scale, that works fine, but only reads in .5 lb. increments, so when I saw a similar model, that reads in .2 increments,at Kohl's on sale, I thought I would get it and donate my old scale.

Although the package shows a nice clear image of large, black numerals with a light grey background, and SAYS it is an LCD readout, in practice, the bloody thing is next to IMPOSSIBLE to read because the background is really much darker and there is not enough contrast between it and the numbers. They are large enough, but with that background, their size doesn't matter much.

My old Taylor scale has LED numbers, in red. And they are so BRIGHT I can read the scale WITHOUT my glasses!!--wonderful for nearsighted me. This new scale is barely readable even WITH my glasses, so it goes back today!!:mad:

The scale I am referring to is the one that retails for about $29.99, and the model number includes "7356" in it.

BTW, if anyone knows of a moderately-priced scale with a decent display that measures in .2 increments, I would love to know it, and where it might be available. (I am on west coast of US). I don't need multiple memory settings, or body fat, etc. --just reliable weight that I can SEE without needing a spotlight!!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale that I bought for $18 in TJ Maxx a few months ago, just a basic scale. It has a black and white display, but the numbers are readable. It measures in 0.2 increments. Perhaps it's a different model than what you bought, I don't have it in front of me so I can't check the model number.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Just for shiggles, if you pick the thing up and put it on a table (so it's closer to viewing height) then put a weight on it (bag of flour, dumbbell, etc) is the display just as dark, or does it have better contrast? If you observe some LCD panels at angles other than true perpendicular, you'll get crap contrast.

Also check to see if there isn't a protective film over the display. That might be causing the issue outlined above. Did any directions come with it that outlines changing the contrast?

You could also see if you could exchange it for another one -- maybe that one is just borked.
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I got one at Target for the same price......I do believe....I think it is a Taylor one also. It tells you your bmi and other stuff that I don't really pay any attention to. Hope that helps. Probably doesnt lol.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I bought the Weight Watchers one at Target last year or so, it measures in 0.1 increments, and does body fat etc. Can't remember how much, but it was a reasonable price.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing Kohls has a no hassle return policy LOL. I have one from Walmart that was less than $20 and I LOVE it. You can even save your weight on it and it'll show you your loss or gain the next time you get on and it measures in .2! It's a Health O Meter. You can look online at www.healthometer.com model# HDM770DQ6SP-05.
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have the Weight Watchers one from Costco...it's great other than it runs through batteries very quickly...maybe that's my fault I am addicted to stepping on the scale!! LOL. BTW it weighs to the .1... Hope you find a good one!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I got one from Bed Bath and Beyond a few years ago, spent like 25 bucks on sale. Found it on Amazon.. it's just a basic scale that does .2 readings. Nothing fancy. Just replaced the battery in it for the first time.

http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SC-310-LCD-Digital-Scale/dp/B000FITLG6/ref=sr_1_77?ie=UTF8&s=bedbath&qid=1282941879&sr=1-77
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.

I am going to return it tomorrow, and since Target is practically across the street from Kohl's, I will have to pop in there and see what they have, as well as checking Walmart, and also Costco.

The scale I have is fine, but I thought it would be nice to have smaller increments than .5 lb.