Can someone check out my meal plan?

Hello, I am 220 pounds 5'9, and 18. I am planning on doing insanity starting monday. And well would 1,800 calories help me lose weight? Here is what it will look like. If so, can someone alter my diet plan?? I am new and I need help!!

1800 Calorie Meal Plan

TOTAL CALORIES ~1802
Breakfast

1½ Cups Shredded Wheat Cereal (255)
1½ Cup (1%) Milk (158)
Morning Snack

1 Medium Banana (105)
Lunch

6½" Whole Wheat Pita (160)
½ cup reduced fat cottage cheese (101)
4 oz. (~110g) Tuna (Canned, Water-packed). (132)
1 tsp Olive Oil (40)
1/2 a tomato, 1/2 a cucumbers (37)
Afternoon Snack

14 Raw Almonds (107)
1 Medium Apple (93)
Dinner

8 oz. (~220g) Chicken Breast (skinless boneless) - cook in griller. (200)
1 Cup Broccoli (55)
1 ½ Cup (cooked) Brown Rice (324)
1 Tablespoon Honey mustard for seasoning (65)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I would have more protein, more fat, less grains, more vegetables.
  • Can you give me some examples like what should I switch up?
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    What Liv said. Add more protein. See if you can keep the ratio at about 40-40-20 (prot-carbs-fat) or I would even go 50-20-30.

Eat a lot of greens and healthy fats. Supplement with flax seed. If you are REALLY serious about losing weight, I would even go as far as to say leave the apple....fructose = sugar.

DO A LOT OF CARDIO....but be clever about what type of cardio.

Just my opinion... Godspeed.
  • JJMaritz
    JJMaritz Posts: 46 Member
    Oh sorry....I see now. Insanity. Well, many ways to skin a cat....or to get a skinny cat.
  • I feel there aren't enough fresh fruit and veg and too many grains in your proposed diet. I also feel your portion sizes are off with respect to the meat and grains.

I reworked your diet plan to add more food and even dessert while still coming under the 1800 calorie threshold. I'm hoping you aren't planning to eat the same meal every day, though, as that can get quite boring and boredom often leads to less healthy food choices.

1800 Calorie Meal Plan

TOTAL CALORIES ~1795

Breakfast (452)
    ½ Cups Shredded Wheat Cereal, unsweetened (85)
    ½ Cup (1%) Milk (51)
    1 cup fresh blackberries (62)
    1 hard-cooked egg (70)
    1 small banana (90)
    1 tbs peanut butter (94)
    8 oz water

Morning Snack (145)
    1 Medium Banana (105)
    1 small tangerine (40)
    8 oz water

Lunch (400)
    2 Whole Wheat mini pita (130) (I get the kind from Damascus Bakeries--their flax rollups are full of fiber and flavor)
    ½ cup reduced fat cottage cheese (101)
    4 oz. (~110g) Tuna (Canned, Water-packed). (132)
    1/2 a tomato, 1/2 a cucumber (37)
    8 oz water

Afternoon Snack (200)
    14 Raw Almonds (107)
    1 Medium Apple (93)
    8 oz water

Dinner (468)
    4 oz. Chicken Breast (skinless boneless) (124)
    1 Tablespoon Honey mustard for seasoning (65)
    1 Cup Broccoli (55)
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper (46)
    3 oz baby carrots (30)
    1 tsp Olive Oil (40)
    ½ Cup (cooked) Brown Rice (108)
    8 oz water

Heat the oven to 375F. In a pie or cake pan, smear the honey mustard all over the chicken breast, sprinkle with ground pepper and a tiny pinch of salt, cover with foil and bake until your meat thermometer reads 155F.

In a rimmed baking sheet, spread the veggies in a single layer, drizzle with the olive oil,sprinkle with ground pepper and a tiny pinch of salt, and roast on the rack below the chicken until the broccoli begins to brown a little.

Dessert (130)
    1 Pepperidge Farm Sausalito cookie (130)

If you're interested in eating more nutritiously, you might want to check out a few books:

American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide, Revised and Updated 4th Edition
    Diabetes Meal Planning and Nutrition For Dummies (I know it's a diabetes book, but the diabetic diet is actually very helpful in both weight loss and healthy eating in general)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    The reworked plan is much better...more balanced...and far less BORING.
  • I happen to think eggs are tiny packages of perfection, and if you like them, you could change up your meals with one of the following:

Egg cups (200)
    Warm up some tortillas (6" ones have 58 calories) by laying them over the wells of a muffin pan. Don't worry about them overlapping. Stick them in a 375F oven for about three or so minutes; you want them to be soft and pliable at this point, not crisp. Take out the pan, push a drinking glass into each tortilla so it forms a cup shape, and stick the pan back into the oven for another 10 minutes or until the tortillas are crisp. Remove from the pans and let them cool on a wire rack. Turn the heat down to 350F.

Mash up a can of drained black beans (400) and mix with 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (2), 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp fresh lime juice (1) and ground pepper. Spread 1/6 of this mixture on the bottom of each tortilla cup, then crack an egg (70)into each cup. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes for softer yolks to 30 minutes for cooked yolks. Top with chopped tomato (22)

Eat this with a 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded wheat (85), 1/2 cup 1% milk (51) and fresh blackberries (62) for a total of 398 calories.

Poached Eggs
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tbs salt
    6 large eggs (70 each)

In a large saucepan (nonstick is helpful but not required), bring vinegar, salt, and 6 cups water to a rolling boil, then turn off the heat. Crack each egg into its own small bowl or cup. Using a spoon, gently stir the water in one direction so it creates a whirlpool. Bring one cup very close to the water's surface and one at a time, gently slip each egg into the center of the whirlpool. Put the cover on. Leave them alone for 3 minutes (for cooked yolks, leave them in the pot for five or six minutes), then scoop them out with a slotted spoon. They can be kept in a bowl of ice water for up to two days and reheated in a pot of simmering salted water for a minute or eaten cold.

Slice a tomato (22), sprinkle with a tiny bit of pepper and 1 tbs of shredded Parmesan cheese (21), broil for 2 minutes, then top with 2 poached eggs. Eat this with a 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded wheat (85), 1/2 cup 1% milk (51) and fresh blackberries (62) for a total of 381 calories.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Grains are fine, apples are fine!!! It looked pretty darned good to me, except I would swap out the breakfast cereal for one that has a higher protein count because I would be starving by lunch time:)